Dracula bust - completed

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi gang,
    It's been awhile since I've had anything to post. But I've managed to finish my United Empire Miniatures bust of Dracula. it's based on the character from the Frances Ford Coppula movie. It was a very nice figure to do. Although the red armor gave me fits trying to figure out how to paint it.
    I'd appreciate any comments and especially any constructive criticisms and suggestions you may have for me.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another view...

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Craig,

Good to see something from you again! I think you did a great job on the reds.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Great work Craig........can't see anything to critique......looks fabulous.....the reds are great and the flesh and eyes are super too.
  5. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Hey Craig,

He looks really nice. I can't pick out anything bad but there is one thing that you could do to add a little to him and that is maybe add some fine hair strands to the forehead and beard area. I think this would help to brake it up a bit but this is just my opinion. Good job nonetheless. (y)

Joe
  6. michelange Member

France
    Hi Graig!!

I have two suggestions and I join Joe.
    The beard east can be a little too clear, it would be enough to make some blows of brush to simulate the hairs, and without wanting to offend you, the hair is hum....linked too much, not contrasted enough.
    I hope that will help you.
    Bruno
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment here. It's much appreciated.

For Joe and Bruno, I know what you mean about the hair and I agree. It's difficult to tell in these pictures but the hairline on the top of the head is actually undercut quite a bit. Not sure that it would be easy for me to do what you're suggesting there. But definitely possible on the beard. I wasn't real happy with how the coloring on the beard turned out. I didn't want to paint the hair black on this guy so I went for a dark brown instead. And then tried to get the beard darker than the rest.

Bruno, no offense taken. I appreciate the feedback.
    Since this is a pretty big bust, I tried to tone down the contrasts so that may be why it looks like it needs more. I added thin washes of Sepia to add more shadows and highlights of Naples Yellow for the highlights. Maybe I'll look at adding more highlights tonight.
    Thanks again guys,
    Craig
  8. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Very nice, Craig. :)

I like the base, too. What is the material and where did you get it?

Keith
  9. Lepman New Member

Craig, if I could paint 1/10 as well as this, I'd be patting myself on the back. Well done.

Ken
  10. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey Keith,
    I got it from Ken Thomas, Thomas Art Bases. I'm lucky, he's located in Pennsylvania like me and goes to both the D.C. and MFCA shows.
    It's made from burled walnut and he uses inks (I believe) instead of stains.
    Ken, thanks for the nice compliment :lol: