1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Doubt on painting

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Carlo Giovanni, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Carlo Giovanni Member

Brazil
    I am painting a 1/6 Zorro resin kit and i am in doubt how to paint the cape to achieve the appearance of silk, a shiny fabric?
  2. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Well that depends on if you are painting with oils or acrylics. If you use oils, the oil should dry with a nice sheen to it. If your using acrylics you can use a clear satin coat on the top to give it the sheen you are looking for. I can't really comment too much on acrylics as I don't use them. Hope this helps
  3. magister militum New Member

United-States
    Use a top coat. I have had good results reprodicing silks with a liquin top coat since I use oils now. If you are using acrylics then a satin coat works, like jcichon said.
  4. Carlo Giovanni Member

Brazil
  5. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    The above mentioned techniques will only produce a sheen on the surface of the paint. This will NOT produce the illusion of silk of satin which has a strong reflective or luminescent quality. The only way I know to produce this kind of luminescence with paint is by using pearl pigments mixed into clear paint.

Many craft stores sell pearl pigments in small jars which can be mixed with your choice of paints. Taxidermy supply shops are also a good source for pearlescent paints and pigments.

Another even easier way to get the kind of effect you want would be to paint the cloak black in the normal way, then lightly rub graphite powder onto the surfaces of the cloak.

Mike
  6. Carlo Giovanni Member

Brazil
    Thanks Bonehead!!
  7. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Bonehead, I learn something new here everyday. This is one I am storing to memory. A really great idea
  8. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States

Mike with the techniques! Great innovations, Mr. Bonehead...