1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dont tread on me - 54mm WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And finally here are some pictures of the finished sculpt!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Couple of detail shots. I tried something new for this one, all the straps (except for trouser straps) were done with putty. Worked out real good and is a lot stronger then I had first suspected.

[IMG]

[IMG]

And finally a few shots of the primed figure

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Hello my friend!
    In my opinion this is one of your best figures. Really cool! Compliments.s

Best regards
    Artur
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Anders.

Marc
  5. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hello Anders!

I have to second Arthurs comments. Whats the story behind the title? I reckongnize the phrase but have a vauge understanding of its meaning and none of the origin. Could you or someone else educate me?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Janne,

It was a saying. Here is a picture of the flag. There are others like this one but a tad different. The HBO movie has the snake broken apart. I hope this helps.

Joe

Here is what they say about it. Also on this link is the other picture of the broken snake.
    http://www.usflag.org/gadsden.html

"The rattlesnake was the favorite animal emblem of the Americans even before the Revolution. In 1751 Benjamin Franklin's Pennsylvania Gazette carried a bitter article protesting the British practice of sending convicts to America. The author suggested tht the colonists return the favor by shipping "a cargo of rattlesnakes, which could be distributed in St. James Park, Spring Garden, and other places of pleasure, and particularly in the noblemen's gardens." Three years later the same paper printed the picture (as seen above) of a snake as a commentary on the Albany Congress. To remind the delegates of the danger of disunity, the serpent was shown cut to pieces. Each segment is marked with the name of a colony, and the motto "Join or Die" below. Other newspapers took up the snake theme.

By 1774 the segments of the snake had grown together, and the motto had been changed to read: "United Now Alive and Free Firm on this Basis Liberty Shall Stand and Thus Supported Ever Bless Our Land Till Time Becomes Eternity"

Other authors felt the rattlesnake was a good example of America's virtues. They argued that it is unique to America; individually its rattles produce no sound, but united they can be heard by all; and while it does not attack unless provoked, it is deadly to step upon one."

[IMG]
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thanks Joe!

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Janne,

No problem but I left out the real question! Here is the answer.

"The Gadsden Flag: The American Revolutionary period was a time of intense but controlled individualism - when self-directing responsible individuals again and again decided for themselves what they should do, and did it- without needing anyone else to give them an assignment or supervise them in carrying it out.

Such a person was the patriot Colonel Christopher Gadsden of South Carolina. He had seen and liked a bright yellow banner with a hissing, coiled rattlesnake rising up in the center, and beneath the serpent the same words that appeared on the Striped Rattlesnake Flag - Don't Tread On Me. Colonel Gadsden made a copy of this flag and submitted the design to the Provincial Congress in South Carolina. Commodore Esek Hopkins, commander of the new Continental fleet, carried a similar flag in February, 1776, when his ships put to sea for the first time.

Hopkins captured large stores of British cannon and military supplies in the Bahamas. His cruise marked the salt-water baptism of the American Navy, and it saw the first landing of the Corps of Marines, on whose drums the Gadsden symbol was painted. "
  9. Radek Active Member

Poland
    Hi Anders
    Love the figure. You captured the pose very well.

Radek
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

I've done some painting on the guy and will post pictures soon.

Janne,

What Joe said, and also check out the first page, where I posted some info rergarding the flag and a pic of the one I am doing.
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the painting of the figure thus far. It's painted with Vallejos and is almost finished. I am sure there are parts that needs a bit of tweaking, and ofcourse the flag has yet to be painted, which admittedly I am somewhat intimidated by!!

I am still trying to find out my 'style' when it comes to painting, and though I am not perfectly happy with how this turned out, I have to look at it as a stepping stone, and learn from it and try to improve on the next project.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks great Anders! Are you coming out to MFCA?
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work so far Anders.
    I recommend that you give the eyes a wash. The white and the blue are to prominent.

Marc
  14. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

Jason, yes, I will make it to MFCA for the first time this year! Im pretty excited about it as I have heard a ton of good things about the show. I am also looking forward to see your WWI Tommy (or Yank?) in person, it looks amazing on your blog!

Marc,

Thanks for feedback. The eyes are not quite as bright in person, but generally I paint the eyes to stand out. Though painting the eye whites with flesh color may be more realistic, to me it does not look so good, especially not in 54mm. I want the figures eyes to pop, and by using a slightly off white I can get the result I'm looking for. Thanks again!!
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A little tip. The buttonholes on the collar run the wrong way. They go like this __ not l ~Gary
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks, will change.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, While I may have done a few things different on other parts of the figure I think the strongest part is the fit of the coat. Sleeves progressively became more snug and the cuffs smaller the later you get into the 18th century. Shirts were fairly full and breeches were loose in the seat and more snug in the lower leg/knee area. There are some great references out there just look and or ask around. ~Gary
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Should have spoke up way sooner as its too late to do anything about it now!! Will concider on future sculpts though. If you have any good online sources for Rev War era clothing etc feel free to share.
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well...maybe. You're on the right track in terms of the fit of the clothing. The rest falls into the "nit picky" catagory. So continue on with what you're doing. ~Gary
  20. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Anders,

Great paintwork on this beautiful figure!

Regards,
    Marcel.