1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dont tread on me - 54mm WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is one of my current WIP's, its a one off of a Revoloutionary War soldier carrying the 'Don't Tread on Me" banner. I first saw the flag a few months back while watching the HBO series 'John Adams', and again when Mrosko posted his pictures from the Atlanta show.

I got to thinking about the flag and its meaning; what a powerful statement - Don't Tread On Me.

I had to do this in miniature so here it is! I want to show a soldier, with beat up and raggedy clothes and a bit wore out, yet standing up for what he so strongly believe in.

The figure is made out of Magic Sculpt with a hornet head. The flag was done by Doug Cohen as I have never done a flag before he graciously offered to show me how it was done. Still more to go, but it's getting there.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Anders,
    Great idea and so far looking very good.
    Cheers
    John
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Anders,

Wow, what a start, love his posture, saying such alot without words.

Look forward to following this to the end.

Cheers Ken
  4. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great start Anders ,the sculpting of the figure and flag look very natural.

David
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good sculpting Anders.
    I really like the look he already has, specially the wornout shoes. The toos(?) sticking out ot the shoe. Great sculpt.
    Looking forward to the finish. The flag is some artwork for itself.

Marc
  6. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Superb

Hi Anders,

Super sculpt and very original. The only thing I don't like is that it's a one of. Please release it under the Helo label so I can paint one too!!!!!

Cheers,

Gino
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

Its a fun piece to do. It's pretty refreshing to do a one off everynow and then as I don't have to worry if it's castable, or how the piece is engineered etc etc. Though I am a bit apprehensive about painting the flag, never have painted a flag before, and my free hand painting skills are not quite up to par. It will be a challange for sure, but fun and a good learning experience!

Here is a picture of the flag he will be carrying, stolen from Mrsosko's Atlanta pictures thread on treadheadz.

As with a lot of older flags they are very meaningful and symbolic, and this one is no exception. The rattle snake symbolizes America (North American Timber Rattler), a snake that will warn you when you get too close, and will serve a deadly bite when pushed into a corner, the rattles (13 rattlers for the 13 colonies) don't work independantly, but as a sting of rattles it serves its purpose of warning. There were other designs of the rattle snake throughout this period of American history, initially as a snake shaped like the east coastline, divided into 13 parts, again for each colonly.

[IMG]

The flag is also known as the Gadsden flag, named after the Naval Colonel who gave a version of this flag to the comander in cheif of the continental Navy, Commodore Esek Hopkins. Colonel Christopher Gadsden also gave his home state legislature in Charleston, SC of which was written:

"Col. Gadsden presented to the Congress an elegant standard, such as is to be used by the commander in chief of the American navy; being a yellow field, with a lively representation of a rattle-snake in the middle, in the attitude of going to strike, and these words underneath, "Don't Tread on Me!"

The flags popularity spread and was used widly throughout the Revolutionary War in many variations.

If you would like to know more about this check out some of these links, it's pretty interesting how the origins of the flag was in part due to Benjamin Franklin's earlier days of news paper articles.

http://www.gadsden.info/

http://www.usflag.org/gadsden.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag
  8. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Very good job Anders, the best from you so far :)
  9. Maglar Member

United-States
    He looks ready to fight! A "Join or Die" slogan flag would be pretty cool too :D
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Killer work Anders!
  11. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    What he said
  12. Robert Laclavik Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Superb sculpt and beautiful pose, this one will look great,
    best wishes
    R.L.
  13. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work Anders. It looks nice and with character !! Waiting for progress

Costas
  14. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Great sculpt Anders!

Congratulations!

Cheers,
    Balázs
  15. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Anders
    A fine sculpt ....enjoyed reading the history of the flag

Frank
  16. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    excellent pose he has a very defiant stance
  17. keshley Member

United-States
    I really like the figure. I've also been wanting to be able to sculpt a flag like that. Would you mind sharing it with us how you (or your friend) did it?

Thanks and much appreciated! :)
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!!

Sorry but this is strictly a one off. I can't wait to start painting i, and the flag too!

The flag was done like this:

Rolled out Aves Apoxy Sculpt to paper thin thickness.
    Cut out the size of the flag
    Super Glued the flag pole to one side of the flag
    Let set up until the putty was almost cured
    Then placed the flag pole w/flag in the position we wanted it on the figure, gravity did most of the work but some fold/drapery work was needed to acheive the look we were after.

It really went smooth though, and not quite as complicated as it sounds in writing. Very seldom does things just 'work out', so when it does happen it's awesome.

More progress has been done to the figure, I think he will be finished by tonight, but we will see. Will post pictures soon!
  19. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Go for it Anders :) it will be a head turner for sure!!!!

Ray ;)
  20. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Anders, excellent sculpture sofar!

Regards,
    Marcel.