1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Don Quixote bust to full figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Those of you who know me then know of my obsession of adding legs to what I call half figures...well this time I'm going one step further and have decided to add a whole body onto Gary Higgins's marvelous 1/9 bust of Don Quixote, He'll be holding his lance in the right hand & the "Travelling Dentist's basin helmet" in the left hand, the bust is brilliant in it's own right as a bust & Gary has done a great job on sculpting a wonderful sorrowful & confused face as per the story of this character, Nice one Gary(y)

Also several people have asked me to do an SBS on how I go about adding the rest of a body onto a bust, mainly legs, so here goes:

Firstly pick the bust very carefully that you wish to add a body to as not all busts can be added on to, you have to really look at the bust & try imagine the rest of the body on it, the main question is "will it work" if you think it will then give it a go..after all you've nothing to lose just a bit of time & putty & believe me I've binned many attempts in the past,
    The Don Quixote is maybe not a good example to go with on this due to me wanting him to have particularly long thin legs & arms, as per the many illustrations & internet images I have found on him.

I use mainly milliput & magic sculpt when adding to a resin bust because it needs no heating to cure & therefore the resin bust will not be damaged in any way.

Rather then me write down a load of blurbing on how to do it my way, I thought I'd show a few photos to give you a rough idea how I go about it, please feel free to ask me any questions & I'll try ask them asap.
    The armature is made from copper wire but you best twist a couple of strands together to give it a bit of strength ..unlike what I've done in these photos using just one strand ...too bendy!

It's important to get the pose right at this stage before adding milliput to the "skeleton"
    for this figure I wanted a pose to be a bit of a whimsical dreamy ( a little bit camp maybe?) look about him I've added a pair of hands from an old MacFarlene figure as they looked nice & bony & just the job also saving a bit of work building a pair of hands for him.

I'll be back with some more photos as I progress with the mad Don Quixote!
    Cheers(y)
    Jim

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      3.5 MB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      3.6 MB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      3.7 MB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      4 MB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      4 MB
      Views:
    • 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      3.6 MB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      3.7 MB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      4.6 MB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      4.8 MB
      Views:
    • 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      4.1 MB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      3.5 MB
      Views:
    • 033.JPG
      033.JPG
      File size:
      4.6 MB
      Views:
    Viking Bob, Grod, Wings5797 and 12 others like this.
  2. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Following this for sure, thanks for taking the time to show how you go about it. What are you using to sculpt the hands? Asking because of the difference in colour to the rest.

Barrie
    Jimbo and garyhiggins like this.
  3. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's a beautiful elevation of a magnificent bust.
    Looking forward to the next step(s).

Cheers,
    Andrew
  4. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Andrew & Barrie

Barrie, I did not sculpt the hands they came out of my spares box originally from an old MacFarlene figure (action figure) ...they are better then what I can sculpt and are in the right position for what I needed..thought I'd save a bit of time & make use of them.
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
    Wings5797 and garyhiggins like this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I am on the front row, watching with interest .
    Bob
  6. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Sorry Jim, missed that bit about the hands in your first post.

Barrie
    garyhiggins likes this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cheers Bob
    No worries Barrie.
    (y)
    Jim
    garyhiggins likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    James,Oh James...

What am I going to do with you eh!!!!!

Now let me think.......

Nice work on the cuirass and good use of the hands...this is going to look great ...bit more work on those legs eh!!!!

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
    Jimbo, Wings5797 and garyhiggins like this.
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cheers Kev
    Yep still a way to go with him..legs not touched yet so hoping to get a little bit more done tonight, probably won't get around to posting anymore pics on here until end of next week now,
    (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    napoleonpeart and garyhiggins like this.
  10. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    This will be a great help Jim, well done that man.
    Scotty.
  11. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Jim, he looks great, the pose is perfect, like a bullfighter 30 years past his sell by date(y)(y)(y). If I got the face right, you've certainly got the rest of him right(y):):).
    Best wishes, Gary.
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Jim and Gary,I think a very well done to both of you fine fellows is in order.
    Between the two of you I sense a cracking figure is on the way.
    All the very best Gents,
    Keith
  13. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Many thanks Keith(y)
    Also many thanks to you too Gary ...without your superb bust I wouldn't be doing this, it's your work that has inspired me to go for this one & I'm really enjoying it:)(y)
    Best regards
    Jim
    garyhiggins likes this.
  14. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Here's bit of an update with a few more pictures, the legs have now been completed, apart from the need to add some armour to his kneecaps and of course his shoes/boots need to be sculpted & also a lance to be added, all the green bits are done in milliput & the grey bits being magic sculpt, hope you like it so far, I won't be able to get back to this until next weekend so hopefully I'll show some more photos then with further progress(y)
    Cheers
    Jim

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      4.2 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      4.6 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      4 MB
      Views:
    Viking Bob, billyturnip, arj and 2 others like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Jimbo ,

WOW that is looking great mate love the skinny look and the armour looks great ,hope to see more from you on this when you get back .

Happy sculpting young 'un

Nap

PS Happy 40th anniversary ...boy is Mrs Jimbo a hero!!
    Scotty and Jimbo like this.
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Kev glad you like the long skinny look which is what I'm trying to achieve with him.

Yeah Mama Sahib is a Diamond or in this case a Ruby ;) & yes bit of a hero too I must admit!!..... but then wot about me?... 4 x life sentences ...could have been out on parole by now!..Ha (y)!!
    Cheers
    Jim
    Scotty, garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This looks a lovely addition Jim to Gary's bust,will look forward to seeing how this turns out mate,good to meet you at figureworld
    garyhiggins and Jimbo like this.
  18. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Brian much appreciated mate, & likewise a pleasure meeting up at figureworld(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    smudger1960 likes this.
  19. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    This really is coming on beautifully, as I look at these pics, I can hear Peter O'Toole singing the impossible dream :).
    Congratulations on the 40th anniversary(y).
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Jimbo and smudger1960 like this.
  20. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow, but that's fast work!

Andrew
    Jimbo and Scotty like this.