1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

doing modern military figures?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by mcsnead17, May 26, 2015.

1. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    I have several boxes of modern army figures but I not sure if I should do them considering what veterans are going there PTSD should I do or not ?
  2. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Go for it:cool:
    martin tabony likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    You're not going to offend any veterans with PTSD by making figures of modern army soldiers. There are plenty of veterans on this forum and as far as I can see we all enjoy seeing figures of any era.
    Ventress and martin tabony like this.
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    You didn't sat what scale they are but you should see if there are therapists available in the same scale and have them ready if necessary.:oops:o_O

Bob
    Martin64 and martin tabony like this.
  5. swralph A Fixture

PTSD is a debilitating illness and anyone can be affected by it(me)if treated correctly it can be overcome.I do not think ex forces will be offended at modern figure's.many I believe many make kits of military subjects to overcome mental illness.
    So go for it:)
    tonydawe likes this.
  6. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    thank you all for your support and I will give them a try but I do have one last question that is where can I get the supplies to them such as scenery and buildings ?
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'd start with eBay, Marc, but you can try online vendors like Roll Models, Sprue Brothers, maybe Hobby Bunker, too. There are a number of manufacturers who make building kits--MiniArt, I believe, does some Middle Eastern/Central Asian buildings, for example.

Try Squadron's site, too.

For general diorama scenery, I'd try the nearest hobby shop, model railroad shop, or the craft store chain AC Moore. They started carrying Woodland Scenics; at least, the local franchisee here in Allentown stocks WS. HobbyTown does, too.

Also, try looking at the shows. A number of vendors at our show had various products on hand, and I think you'll find some at other shows, too.

Hope that helps!

Prost!
    Brad
  8. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    I do a set of figures in mind and it is from Master Box Ltd and it is called Some where in the Middle East-Present day someone must know the box and figures inside also should I use the colors for the campo on the box or is there a better way ? or should I do another box from them and then again buy the figures from Live Resin ? I another question that is my former boss at CBS.INC was in Nam and he handled the a grenade launcher is there any of kits that have it ?
  9. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    for scenery I have woodland molds of rocks but I am not sure of colors for the area .
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    You can get good results with those molds, Marc. There's a guy over at the Treefrog Toy Soldier forum, Mike Miller, I believe, who as used them for rocks in some of his dioramas. I've thought about getting them myself, for French-and-Indian-War scenes.

As far as coloring goes, depending on the material you're using--plaster, for example, or resin-you could tint it when you mix it, for a base color, and then apply other colors on the cured, molded result.

Prost!
    Brad
  11. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    you mean I can use resin with these molds but how can prepare these molds for the resin and what kind of resin can be use for it ?
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States