1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Do you play, or have you played, Dungeons & Dragons?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Lissorles, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Lissorles Member

Canada
    Hello :) ,

Yesterday I was talking to my older brother about boardgames (does D&D qualify as a boardgame?), and I brought up Dungeons & Dragons, which, according to Google, there are an estimated 14 million current players, and an estimated 40 million people who've played the game--do you happen to be one of those people? I would imagine, this being a forum for buying, building and painting miniatures (which can be used in D&D), there would be some kind of overlap between the two communities. I mean, not just this forum/community, but the miniature community as a whole.

I would like to buy him the fifth edition of the Player's Handbook for Christmas, however I suspect it'd mainly be used by myself as I think I'd take on the role of the Dungeon Master. If you've ever been in that position before, or know someone who has been, what kind of a time investment are we looking at here? I don't know if I'd be able to manage this hobby with that one, unless I found a way to incorporate one into the other; which would probably rule out painting historical miniatures, in favour of something like Reaper's line of miniatures (Bones and whatnot).

Thanks very much!

Lissorles
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Never played D&D but I did play tabletop and board war games many years ago. Nowadays Farming Simulator on the PS4 is as exciting as it gets for me.........
    Lissorles likes this.
  3. Lissorles Member

Canada
    Epic Games, the publisher (and developer?) of the multi-platform game Fortnite, has been, for the last year and a half, giving away free PC games. One of them was Farming Simulator, I believe. This week they're giving away the gold and definitive editions of Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity, both retailing for about ~$50 CAD. Setup an account and start getting games for free! Already thousands of dollars worth of games have been given away for free, and the year's biggest giveaway, a game a day, is about a week away. This is not an advertisement nor promotion, I promise. Lol! This Reddit subreddit has all of the free giveaways posted: reddit.com/r/freegamefindings
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Lissorles likes this.
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Dungeons and Dragons?............Holy crapoon brush.......I love that movie.........
    Lissorles likes this.
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    You guys are nerds.
    :D
    Mirofsoft and Nap like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi

Hey ...I'm not one of the 40 million !

Occasionally I used to wargame ...not anymore though .....do like seeing the figures that have been painted from various games like Warhammer and indeed D and D and as you say it's welcome here

But now I have found busts ..all is well

Nap
    Lissorles and Graham like this.
  8. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    The segment is far bigger than military modelling..gaming leads to painting the figs and so on..historical/military miniatures are now a tiny part of huge industry led by major sized corporations such as GW..altho in person gaming has of course been hugely reduced with pandemic, the painting, new games, evolutions of others..the RPG part has a spectrum of requirements as far as time, effort from the coordinator of a game..and the investment for some of the games can be steep..if you look at YouTube there are thousands of content creators..I might offer one Canadian woman, Sword&Steele who is into the GW thing..perhaps GW is a good entry drug to miniature models and painting...after all, where we dreamt of military stuff, it’s rather a stretch to expect youth to do so now, so the more game of thrones style stuff gives same imaginative outlet for these times
    Lissorles, Mirofsoft and Graham like this.
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    OK, gimme ALL your lunch money.
    Lissorles and grasshopper like this.