1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Do not lose your head" - Starki Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by artur_koszewski, Nov 14, 2016.

1. artur_koszewski Active Member

Poland
    Two weeks ago we had here in Warsaw (Poland) a miniature painting contest called Hussar.
    At the show Paweł Sterczewski owner of Starki Miniatures company presented his new figure titled "Do not lose your head".

For some of you this phrase may sound familiar ;)
    Yes, you are right - it was an advice which one immortal warrior gave to his friend, a highlander swordsman named Connor MacLeod.

Title: Do not lose your head
    Code: FIG-2
    Scale: 1/9 (200mm)
    Type: full figure with scenic base
    Sculptor: Paweł Sterczewski
    Photos: Sławomir Borysowski

Email: office@starkiminiatures.com

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Poster advertising movie "The Highlander"

Connor MacLeod.jpg
  2. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Beautifully detailed sculpt, totally evocative of the movie.(y)

Alan
    Huw63 and artur_koszewski like this.
  3. jenghiz Active Member

England
    Interesting to hear of the show,please post details of the next one when you have them.
    artur_koszewski likes this.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nice figure but at 120 euros about 50% more than the going rate in the UK for a 200mm figure.
  5. artur_koszewski Active Member

Poland

Ian,

Hussar show is organised in Warsaw every year on the last weekend of October. It is relatively young show as this year it was the 7th edition only. Most of the contest entries are fantasy and sci-fi miniatures and painted at very high level. To prove that, it is worth to mention that Hussar main prize, apart of a beautiful real size forged saber, is a return ticket to prestigeous Crystal Brush show which is organised every year in Chicago and from what I remember the Hussar last years winners always win medals at Crystal Brush too. Two years ago the Hussar's main prize was won by Kirill Kanaev, who is for the instance known from his box arts for Young Miniatures and then he won the main prize of the Crystal Brush too.
    Along with the show there are organised some painting presentations and workshops - this year one workshop was conducted by a special guest who was the Jesus Martin from Nocturna Models.

So, in my humble opinion the Hussar is a show that is worth to visit.
    You are warmly welcomed guys!

For those interested here is the Hussar 2016 fanpage - https://www.facebook.com/Hussar-min...tition-794435610664021/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE
    and photo album prepaered by the organizers showing all the contest entries - https://www.facebook.com/pg/slawol/photos/?tab=album&album_id=336026576754799
  6. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Love the figure! Highlander is one of my favourite movies.
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent! There are a lot of details to like! Should be a painter's delight!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. artur_koszewski Active Member

Poland

Dan,

Let's think of all these tartan strips that need to be painted - it will be a challenge :)
  9. Drenth Active Member

Switzerland
    Only stunning! Great sculpt work! :)
  10. Reptor A Fixture

Japan
    Great miniature ! I like this,:love: but 120 euros is very expensive:dead:
  11. Mozzy Member

I'm with Reptor; way out of my affordability but an awesome figure none the less.

Why are 200mm figures generally so expensive?

Mozzy
  12. artur_koszewski Active Member

Poland
    Mozzy,

For figures in this scale when comparing to smaller ones (120mm, 90mm, 75mm, 54mm, ...) the sculpting process takes more time and especially amount of materials (silicone rubber and casting resin) that are consumed for production is significantly higher. All these makes that 200mm figures are more expensive than smaller miniatures.
    Mozzy likes this.
  13. jenghiz Active Member

England
    Many thanks for the info on the show,would love to attend one year.
  14. Huw63 A Fixture

Lovely sculpt and as Alan said very reminiscent of the movie.

Cheers

Huw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Jazz A Fixture

England
    As a huge fan of this movie I welcome any figure to promote it. This is an extremely nice figure although at 200mm too big and too expensive for my tastes. My only criticism is the pose is very similar to the 54mm Andrea piece of the same character. Good luck with your sales and maybe you can bring out a Ramires (Sean Connery) or Kurgan (Clancy Brown) to accompany McCleod.
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    Missus got me this for Xmas :eek: There is a LOT of resin to it in fairness which would help explain the price, the base probably weighs as much as most other 200mm figures, superb sculpt and a very decent cast. Now all I have to do is try and paint it :nailbiting: There is also a targe included which can either be put on the base or left off as you feel
    Steve
    Jazz and artur_koszewski like this.
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Where's the full stop when you need one :D
    Helm and artur_koszewski like this.
  18. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    What the hell is a targe?.....You got me think'n.........................................what the hell is a targe?
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    A targe is a Scottish 'encourager'. Similar to the batons carried by the Marshals of France to evidence their authority. The Targe was a baton carved from Brigadoon Bog Oak, covered in leather and further enhanced with studs of brass. Occasionally a spike was added when the Highlanders were reluctant to charge Government soldiers armed with muskets, bayonets and cannon when only protected by a coat of blue paint.
    This is of course the true story behind the expression 'they don't like it up 'em'
    artur_koszewski and Helm like this.
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    And in reality, it's a little shield used in Scotland as their little arms can't hold normal sized ones.
    [IMG]
    artur_koszewski and DEL like this.