1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique DML 1/16 Navy SEAL

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kempie, Jun 28, 2011.

1. kempie Member

England
    Hi all - here's the start of my second 1/16 fig. Spent quite a bit of time getting the pattern and colours down as all the painting guides I had seen were a bit colourful. Having got the colours down first it took a while to get the pattern so trousers are better than the jacket here. still OK and hopefully after shading and weathering the discrepancies aren't so obvious.

Face isn't my best - did some painting under unfamiliar light and was dismayed to view it in the daylight. Have managed to cover up the worst of it with cam cream and still have to detail the eyes.

Hoping to use Ski's oil shading notion rather than individually shading each colour. TBH my approach in the past for 1/35 figs has been washes and drybrushing but I know there are better results to be had.

For anyone interested the colour mixes I used for the pattern were as follows (all Humbrol)

Base - 72 + 226 (1:1)
    Brown - 72 + 160 (1:1)
    Black - 33 + 72 (2:1)
    Swirl - 72 + 121 (4:1)

Anyways, any comments, criticisms or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers, kempie

Attached Files:

gordy and Steve Riley like this.
  2. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice tiger stripe!
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    You're onto a good start Chris (y) Thanks for sharing :)
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Really good camo pattern Kempie, looks great and the face looks pretty good too. Keep er rollin.

Cheers, Ski.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Nice work Kempie. God bless camo. It allows us to hide a multiptude of sins.
  6. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice effort so far m8 - I have to be honest that doing face cam cream over skin tone is a challenge in itself, tiger stripe is looking good on start, keep is in the loop.;)
  7. kempie Member

England
    Some progress - most of the shading done and started a few highlights on the trousers and webbing. Started shading on the trousers without fully understanding Ski's instructions - re-read them before starting the blouse and think I did a much better job.

Anyways, comment and critique very welcome

Cheers, kempie

Attached Files:

8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well Kempie, for reading Greek you're doing a pretty decent job so far. From what I can see the shadows are looking good and feathered out from the dark spots, so you are making it happen. Sorry if my explanation isn't too clear. Keep at it, looking good. Hollar if you need more clarification on something.

Cheers, Ski.
  9. kempie Member

England
    Thanks Ski - your instructions were fine. I was just careless in reading them. Re-read them and a couple of critical lines about blending away from the depth of the shadow just popped out. After that I really understood what I was trying to do. Must learn how to take better pix - the phone camera isn't really cutting it.

Cheers, kempie
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Roger that Bro,

Well for a phone camera they ain't too bad, but in the future a better cam can be had for not too much $$. Your work stands on it's own, so keep er rollin. Glad I could be of assistance.

Cheers, Ski.
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Coming along Chris.
    Carl.
  12. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The tiger stripes look great. you might want to get a better cast figure to do your painting some justice.
  13. kempie Member

England
    Gellso - thanks very much for the complement. I've got some really nice Bravo6 figs that I want to do justice by so all my work on the current stuff is to hone my skills after 15 years away from the hobby. That said I've got a Verlinden and a Kirin 120mm fig in my stash that I am looking forward to painting next.

That said, it's also very satisfying taking a fig that I could find no good pics of online and turning it into something decent. The only thing I've got to do now is figure out how to get the plastic ammo belts to sit realistically. Hot water didn't work - might need to try the wife's hairdresser.

Cheers, kempie
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I don't know if you've got one. But those paint stripping heat guns are good, just be careful not to overheat it if the belts plastic.
    Carl.
  15. kempie Member

England
    And finally some progress. Hopefully a couple more sessions will see this one at the point where I can start preparing a base for it. In case the changes from last time aren't obvious I've tried to add some highlights. I'm pretty happy with the effort but compared to Ski's work and this I know just how much scope for improvement there is!! I think some of the highlights can be pushed higher and maybe some deeper shadows too. After that I was thinking of using a dark pin wash for the seams and around equipment. Obviously, the boots, weapon, ammo belt and eyes all need doing too.

Any suggestions, criticisms or comments are welcome.

Cheers, kempie

Attached Files:

Steve Ski likes this.
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks good Kempie, very subtle. The details will come out as you continue on and you will be able to touch up as needed. Right on!

Cheers, Ski.
  17. kempie Member

England
    Thanks mate - hopefully get some more time on this tomorrow.

Cheers, kempie
  18. kempie Member

England
    So a little more progress with this. Closing out some of the to do list and trying to bring the detail out. Also, tackled probably the scariest part of the figure - it's eyes. The molded detail was unbalanced and pretty unhelpful. The end result isn't a major feature but at least in my opinion doesn't distract from the rest of the figure. Ammo belts, slings and then attempt a modest base to bring this to a close.

Any comments, criticisms or suggestions most welcome

Cheers, kempie

Attached Files:

19. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    This is coming along pretty sweat like Kempie. It all looks pretty dang good and your shadows and highlights came out nicely as well. Keep er rollin Bro.(y)

Cheers, Ski.:D