1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

DJ Psycho

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by gforceman, Feb 10, 2019.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

Here are a couple of pics of a bust I'm currently working on. It's a resin casting by JMD and they say it's a fighter pilot. Well, in my fantasy he's a dj of the future with big reversed stereo (THE sound of the 24th century) loudspeakers on his ears. I'm trying to paint him as if a green light, he might be on stage and who knows what light effects they'll use in the future, is shining from behind him. This is also a great excuse to paint some logo's of some of my all time favourite groups. There all of the same label, Psychophatic, which is also why I named him DJ psycho. I've seen on these pics that the green area of the light should reach more to the front of his hat, something I have already corrected. I'm now in the midst of painting some more logo's on the back of his head (Bang, Pow, Boom, the missing link and the mighty dead pop.

Please let me know what you think of it, also if you think it is absolutely shit, and what I might do to improve. I'm asking because I have no other contact with the model world any more, due to a chronical disease, and the internet is about the only feedback I can get. So I basically don't know if what I'm doing is in the good direction or maybe I'm just a complete nerd who does all the things wrong, so please all and any help is very much welcome.

Cheers,

Gino.

dj1d.JPG dj2c.JPG dj2a.JPG
    Edorta likes this.
  2. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Hi Gino, he looks very good. The face and hat are excellent and the logos work well too. I like the idea of the green light from behind.
    Are you going to add more contrast to the strap for his goggles? At the moment it gets a bit lost.
    Will you back light the base with green too?
  3. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hello Elanlane13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it.

For sure, on the moment the colour on the straps for the googles are only there because of the pre highlighting I did with the airbrush and spill from when I was painting the leather. On the back of the head there will be more logo's and some go partially under the strap, so I figured it would be wise to keep the strap till after the logo's are ready? This way I can still painted on the straps to continue the design. I hope this makes sense?
    Well, I wasn't planning to do any green light on the base, but now you have triggers my fantasy and I'm going to try to do something with a backdrop. Problem is that I will have to do some photoshopping, and I'm even worse at photoshop then I am at painting figures! I'll try it at least.

Take care,

Gino
    elanlane13 likes this.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great start.

Marc