1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Disposable Plastic Palette

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by skeeterbuck, Jun 10, 2013.

1. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    I'm looking for a place to buy a palette like Marion Ball is using in the video.

She shows the palette at the very beginning so you don't have to watch it for very long. I looks to me to be made of vacuum formed plastic and has 16 wells for paint.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chuck
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  3. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Roger, that's a big help already. :happy:

I couldn't make out the name on the palette. It looked to me to be "Pablo". :wacky:
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You're very welcome, I've found them in just about every country apart from the USA but at least you now know what you're looking for.... and Canada isn't far away. :playful:

Roger.
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

Chuck, have you ever tried a stay-wet palette? If not I highly recommend them for anyone using acrylic-type paints, they save a lot of paint in the long run and really help aid painting during long sessions.

Einion
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Fernando Ruiz uses the containers that chewing gum and some prescription drugs come in. They have anywhere from 8 to 12 small compartments in them. If you use the chewing gum ones you also get white clean teeth as a side benefit.:happy:
    Cheers
    John
  7. pte1643 Active Member

For disposable Plastic pallettes, I use the plastic "Trays" that hold your headache tablets... Peel the foil off and away you go.

Come in different sizes too... The ones that come with Throat "sweets", like Strepsils, are perfect, and cheep as...

EDIT: Looks like I was typing as John was posting the same idea.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Like Einion I use a stay wet when I need to keep the paint "live" for a while. For more general use, I use foam meat trays from the supermarket - for oils and arylics.

Colin
  9. socko47 Active Member

United-States
  10. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    For short painting sessions with acrylics I use cheap ceramic plates I get at Cost Plus and other import stores. I like the square plates The nice thing is you can use them over and over. Just wash them with dish soap and hot water. For things like washes I use one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Darice-7-Well-Porcelain-Palette-6-Inch/dp/B004GXBYS4/ref=pd_sim_ac_1
    Again once you finish you can just wash it. It saves money and time for me. I also use a wet pallet for long painting sessions In fact it is a must here in California were it seems like the paint can sometimes dry in seconds when it gets hot. You can even get ceramic pallets with lots of little wells like this. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/568972775/ceramic_wholesale_color_paint_palette.html

I can see using a throw away palette for something like what Marion is doing in the video. But why use them for home use. It just adds more plastic to the land fills.
    housecarl likes this.
  11. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I agree with Jeff , besides, I never take Meds so empty blister packets for me are out.
    I use a plastic pallet for now (commercial) and if needed I'll use a little retarder if I need it to stretch out a bit. I haven't used a wet pallet yet but would consider it if I was to sit for very long extended periods.
    I also use little disposable plastic shot glasses for washes etc but try to reuse them wherever I can.
    Karl.
  12. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I use beer bottle tops! Any excuse:dead:
    Tubby-Nuts2 and Jeff like this.
  13. Mark S Guest

I used to force myself to eat lots and lots of chocolates and use the trays from the boxes....now I just eat trays and trays of them without having to force myself at all.
  14. Mark S Guest

But seriously there is so much superfluous food packaging these days that it has indeed become a serious problem for the entire Earth and our Oceans. If you can't find a compartmentalised plastic container you just aren't looking at all......recycle!!
  15. Einion Well-Known Member

They're useful even for shorter stints. You should notice the difference immediately when you try one, even over less than an hour as there's no drying in from the edges of a puddle of paint which starts nearly immediately on a plastic or ceramic palette surface. Also the paint doesn't keep on thickening up because of evaporation which is a major boon when doing layering for example.

Einion
  16. Einion Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in trying a stay-wet palette very quickly to see the advantage it's very easy to knock up a rudimentary one, you may have all the materials in the house already. You just need something to act as the reservoir (piece of damp kitchen paper/paper towel, sponge or cloth) and something to put on top to act as the membrane (baking parchment usually works well for this, tracing paper can be good too). You can just lay these down on a tile, the lid of a sandwich box or any flat bit of plastic; they don't have to be in a container except for storing overnight or longer.

More here with pictures: How to Make a Wet Palette (and Why You Should Bother)

Einion
    Joe55 likes this.
  17. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Einion! :happy:

I think I'm going to give it a try and make one. I'm rather sure that my wife has some baking parchment and I have some 1 inch foam sponge so I'm halfway there already. If I find that I like it, I can always invest in a commercial one later.

Chuck
  18. bogusman53 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gentlemen they are Pebeo vacformed disposable pallettes and you can get them from here, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/mulberrysilksltd £4.75 for 10

I agree with the above wet pallette advice also. I use plastic food or sandwich keeper with lid, I put a thin kitchen sponge wipe in the bottom spray it till saturated with dettol surface sanitiser because if you don;t it can start to smell a bit off in time, then I top this with baking parchment and leave it till the parchement softens then it's ready to use. I personally wouldn't go to the expense of a commercial one. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it's easy to replace the soiled parchment and replace it with a clean piece. By the way the article mentioned above tells you much the same on how to make your own, It must be baking parchment as when it gets wet I believe it's becomes what's known as a semi permeable membrane.
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    As JonP does I use crown cap bottle tops. I buy these in bags of 100 from home brew suppliers.
    Get the ones with the 'plastic' coating on the inside of the cap, use a strip of double sided tape to stick the caps to a piece of card.
    This way you can make up separate mixing palettes for each colour group.
    Cheers
    Derek
  20. Einion Well-Known Member

Welcome Chuck, I'm sure you'll like it.

Honestly no need, the homemade type works just as well, and sometimes better - some users of the Masterson palette don't like the membrane paper it's supplied with and substitute something of their own.

Just to mention, I usually mix any colour in bulk on a hard palette to begin with, then transfer the paint to the palette paper using my mixing knife. You can mix smaller amounts of paint with a brush but it's not really the best way; I only mix by brush for small on-the-spot mixes, like for the tiny amount of a greyish skin colour needed to do the bags under the eyes or the mix for the white of the eyeball.

Einion