1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Diorama in progress and a painting question...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Milorg, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Milorg Member

Norway
    Diorama finished 18/1-09

Hello

Posta a couple of in progress pictures of my latest diorama. The base, cart and tank is almost done and I'm on with the figures and the.....oxe, and thats my question, I want to paint the oxe black but have no idea on how to do this the best way.
    I guess I can use the same methods for painting a black horse so any help on this (i.e links to articles) would be most appreciated.

All the best

Per Olav

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And here he is, its from MK35 with some scratch harness..
    [IMG]
  2. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Per Olav, another great dio in the works. Been following your progress over on MIGS website. Anyhow, I asked my wife who is a horse person, she owns and boards them. She basically told me a black horse, well..... should be painted black. If I were using oils I'd probably go with a combination of Mars black, Ivory black, and Blue black. As far as the oxe goes, wish I could help but we don't own any of those!
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Per Olav,
    I've met you at Eindhoven but we didn't had the chance to speak to eachother.
    Now i have seen your dio's in reallity i can say that the picture's are awesome but the real stuff is amazing.

Marc
  4. Paccus New Member

Sweden
    This is really nice Per Olav. I love these kind of dull scenes, which help to get a more dramatic feeling over it without showing any action.
    Great figures too. Are the sitting one your own work ?

Regarding the oxe, I would go for a rather dark brown-black colour.

BUT.......one thing that disturbs me is the colour of the frame. Takes way too much attention from the scene. I'd go for a more neutral colour like dark grey or black. The only colourfull thing should be the shrine-figure in the wagon (which is a really nice touch).

Regards / Mattias Larsson, Sweden
  5. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Wow Per Olaf, that is an absolute cracker !!! Can`t await to see it finished.

Take care,
    Markus
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Per Olav,

Really a nice looking scene. I really love the look of the snow and the seated figure. Do you paint in oils or acrylics? I would paint the ox with an undercoat of burnt umber acrylic and then use oils over the top. I would take Mars black and burnt umber oils and put on the ox and then wipe away the rest, kinda of like staining it. This will help give it a sheen. I would then highlight and shade the ox with oils. I hope this helps.

Joe
  7. ilija Member

Excellent job....
    my compliments...
  8. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    I agree. The vignette makes an excellent statement without the figures or the ox.

:)
  9. Milorg Member

Norway
    Thanks guys!

jjgurk, Mattias and Joe thanks for your tips regarding painting the oxe, I will try using the oils you suggested. The sitting figure is from The Body, slightly modified and with a new head from Hornet

Ilia, IIIcorps and Markus thanks for your nice words.

Marc, sorry I didn't recognice you and had the chanse to talk to you in Eindhoven, well maybe next time. Great show btw.

All the best

Per Olav
  10. pkw4 Active Member

Italy
    One the best dio i've seen
    Raoberto
  11. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Per Olav , beautiful and inspiringwork my friend as always !
    As far as painting iwould suggest the exact same method that Joe descibed . Your snow look is really interesting . Any tips on your method ?

Best Regards

Costas
  12. doedskvad Member

Germany
    Hi Per Olav!

You did a really good job so far! I can't wait to see the finished piece.
    And in my opinion you made the most taste- and respectful depiction of a dead body in a diorama I have seen up to this day. Congratulations!

With the ox I can't help you, I have never painted any animals.
  13. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    amazing dio so far
    hope you get the oxe right
  14. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent constructed diorama sofar! And great looking snowy groundwork.
    Would love to see all the pieces together.

Marcel.
  15. Milorg Member

Norway
    Thanks a lot guys, your feedback is most appreciated. :)

Costas, hello buddy!, the snow was made of Andrea snow mixed with white glue and water. I mixed it into a slushy mix and spread it on to the groundwork with an old brush. I made small areas at the time to have better controll. In some areas I sprinkeled on some snow powder to the slush to get a more sparkling effect.

All the best

Per Olav
  16. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello guys
    Well, the oxe is mostly done. A challenging painting project, my first oxe in this scale :). Thanks to Joe for the tips regarding the paint, I must admit though that I besides oils I also used acrylics and airbrush. The "weathering" was done pretty much like on a tank using pigments and washes.

Now its one to the figures.

Cheers

Per Olav

[IMG]
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Oke,
    Thats it. Gonna collect stamps again...

Great work Per Olav

Marc
  18. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello Guys

Well, this diorama has come to an end, just some minor touch ups left. Added the third firgure the last minute a figure from the Bravo 6 range.

Cheers

Per Olav

ps, I dont have any title for the dio yet, any toughts? :)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Superb piece of work Per Olav!
    Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
    Marcel.
  20. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    A+ Amazing work !!