1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Detail from The Roll Call, (Bust)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wings5797, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hello One and All,
    Finally decided to remove the cobwebs and dust from this chap to get back to trying to paint something........it,s been a while.
    I am within a stones throw of calling it a day on this fellow, just a few details to paint in and mount up.
    Hope that you like this 'long time coming' project. It only started as a hand sculpting practice.
    A big thank you to everyone who helped and advised me along the way, it is much appreciated.
    All the very best,
    Keith

IMG_8556.JPG IMG_8557.JPG IMG_8560.JPG IMG_8561.JPG IMG_8562.JPG IMG_8563.JPG
    MCPWilk, prhayes68 and billyturnip like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks top class Keith really has a feel to it
    Steve
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Cheers Steve, very generous comments.
    Painting wise, I haven't added the blood on the bandage as you advised but i will add it when I get the right colour.......maybe a coffee colour?
    Great to hear from you again mate.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    I've had a degree of success with red food colour but for Steve Readdie's Rick Grimes figure I used a G.W. paint "Blood for the Blood God." which gives a good drying blood effect if you want a more recent kind of blood seeping through
    Steve
    Wings5797 and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A good tip Steve
    Cheers Mate
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith,

Looking good mate nice to see this finished as Steve says it has a feel to it .

Any chance of a picture on a lighter background ?

Thanks for sharing this

Nap
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thank you for your kind comment Kevin.
    I really just tried to copy the Butler painting and with luck on my side for once it work in 3D.
    No problem to get another picture, have you a preference of colour?
    Good to be in touch again Mate after a busy summer for me.
    Speak soon
    Keith
  8. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Keith,

Nice to see this one finished. It is an evocative piece. Very nice work on both the sculpting and painting.

Pete
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Pete,
    Many thanks for your kind comments and your unfaltering help and advice throughout this project.
    How is your Scots Grey shaping up?
    All the very best Mate,
    Keith
  10. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Keith,

Your more than welcome. Any Guards questions you know where to come!

The Scots Grey is finished (only figure I've actually completed this year although I do have a few in various stages). I'm almost done with the MMM figure of a Scots Fusilier Guards Office in the Crimea. I've experimented with some different techniques on this one. I shamelessly stole your method for his tunic from the WIP you posted recently on the Black Watch officer. I'm pretty pleased with the way it has come out. This has tempted me to experiment a bit more with acrylics.

Thanks for asking and take care.

Pete
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

Good to hear from you ..no preference just want to see the bust in its full glory !

Take it easy mate

Nap
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Cheers Nap,
    Try these pictures,,,,,,,,,,
    IMG_8577.JPG IMG_8578.JPG IMG_8579.JPG

Taking it easy commenced
    All the best Kev,
    Keith
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  13. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Pete,
    Thank you for your kind offer to be my Guards Wikipedia. I am sure that I will take up your offer in the future.
    Is there any chance of me having a peek at the Scots Grey? It makes it all worth while that you picked up something from my WIP. No stealing needed, as with you anything that I can help you with just ask. That is what I think this religion hobby is all about.
    As for acrylics, I have taken to base coating with them so that I can use more thin coats of the finished colours. I am also trying out two new painting firsts for me; water mixable oil paint from W&N and a reduced pallet. I am painting a French Cavalry figure using a colour wheel and colours; blue, red, yellow, white and small amounts of black. What fun.....once I got the hang of it.
    Let me know how you get on with the acrylics Pete.
    Speak soon and all the very best,
    Keith
    prhayes68 likes this.
  14. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Keith,

A couple of pictures attached. A couple of caveats - I took them with an iPad so they are not great (he does look better "in the flesh"). Also, I'm nowhere near up to the standard of some of the artists on this site but I think I do improve as I try new techniques. The Scots Fusilier Guard I mentioned is nearly done and I certainly think he's better than this figure. I'll try wheeling out the iPad for that when he's done.

Pete

Attached Files:

Wings5797 likes this.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    HI Pete
    Thanks for sharing your work with Me Mate.
    I like this casting and you have done it good justice.
    Your colour choice is perfect, the gold lace looks really sharp and My pet subject,Navy Blue, is perfect.
    I've nothing but praise for your good work here Pete and hope that this will lead to you posting your Scots Fusilier Guard on completion.
    It,s not easy to put your figures up for the World to see, so be proud of yourself and your work Pete.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    prhayes68 likes this.
  16. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your kind words - that means a lot. Sometimes I get depressed when I look at the work on PF and compare it to my own meagre efforts. However, I enjoy what I do and I suppose that's what a hobby is about! I feel like I am improving thanks to the techniques I see here. I will post a picture of the guardsmen when he's done.

Thanks again Keith.

Pete
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    We all feel like that from time to time talking to some of the guys I want to be able to paint like they always say wish I could paint like so and so it's a learning curve for us all. Like Brian Snaddon said when I was tweaking his tail about not commenting on a WIP of mine we're all shoulder to shoulder painting (y)
    Steve
    prhayes68 and Wings5797 like this.
  18. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    HI Pete
    There will always be somebody better and somebody worse than us all.
    Try not to get downbeat when in point of fact you are improving with every brush stroke.
    Best to just look at your work as you finish it and think if I did this again what would I do differently next time.
    I do this but usually when I am half way through and reach for the stripper.
    Press on Mate you are much better than you think and as long as you are enjoying it, what the heck.
    All the very best Pete
    Keith
    prhayes68 and Helm like this.