1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Detail from The Roll Call, (Bust)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wings5797, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hello pF friends,
    Just a few photos of my very slow development in the painting of this beast.
    I have tried to show the stages of building up the B&S gold lace on the cap band. For Kevin (Nap) " no metallic elements were harmed in the painting of this cap" well up to this stage anyway(y).
    I hope that you like it so far.
    Cheers,
    Keith

IMG_8240.JPG IMG_8244.JPG IMG_8245.JPG IMG_8247.JPG IMG_8249.JPG IMG_8251.JPG
    napoleonpeart, Grod, Tarracus and 4 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    That face really is well done Keith now the rest is coming along it just highlights the pathos of this moment. Quality work mate
    Steev
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    What a belter (y) Keith. An outstanding project throughout you must be well pleased.
    The face is packed with emotion.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Wings5797 likes this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Cheers Steve,
    I'm glad that the 'feel' of this piece is evident.
    Thanks Mate.
    Keith
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    Even without the background info Keith that face tells a story
    Steve
    Wings5797 likes this.
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks Derek,
    I am quietly pleased with the result of the sculpting. The painting.....could should do better.
    I value your comments Mate,
    Cheers,
    Keith
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    Mate this is progressing very nicely, looks even better with more colour on it, just love your unique sculpt. Definitely a face full of character(y) .
    cheers
    Richie
    Wings5797 likes this.
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thanks Richie,
    I always like to hear your take on on my sculpting, Pleased that you like it Mate.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

Now this looks even better with paint on it ...like the fleshtones and the eyes as well ...this is a unique piece and you have worked hard to complete the sculpt ...now get the painting done young man !!!!

Glad no metallic elements were harmed ...what colours did you use for the cap band?

Are you adding any stains to the bandages ?

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Keith,
    He's come on a treat, face & cap looks good, keep at it mate (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    napoleonpeart and Wings5797 like this.
  11. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Keith,

This is really looking fantastic. Love the expression - it speaks volumes and the uniform is is really setting up nicely as well. Should be no big no deal to sculpt the rest of the 3rd Battalion to go along with him now:)

Pete
    napoleonpeart and Wings5797 like this.
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hello Kevin,
    Many thanks Mate.
    The cap band started off with a yellow ochre base coat but it came up too bright for the overall dark tones that I want on this piece. To get it where I needed it to be I mixed yellow ochre with an equal measure of raw umber. This gives a green tinge to the gold, looks like weathered gold lace. Then the initial pattern was laid on with yellow ochre then highlighted with cadmium yellow and slightly shaded with raw umber.

With the bandages I have painted them to look a bit grubby, I may put a few more dirt patches but not too sure about the red stuff. What would your take on it be?
    Cheers,
    Keith
  13. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Jim and Pete,
    Many thanks Gents, it,s always like to hear the opinions of you two Guys.
    Jim my sculpting Guru and Pete my resident ( though a few K'miles away) Guardsapedia.
    So, come on Pete off of the top of your head, no checking up allowed, How many figures are in the painting that I would need to consider?
    Not that I have the Milliput or years to complete them.
    All the very best Chaps,
    Keith
    prhayes68 and napoleonpeart like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Keith ,

Nice methods and colours ...for my NMM I use GW Snakebite leather , shadowed with Chaos Black + Snakebite with the highs being Snakebite + white in higher saturation with the white ...final highs being white .

Bandages ...I would grubby them up a little (burnt umber wash) more maybe with a hint of dried blood but no overdone.

Looking forward to seeing more from this piece

Keep painting

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  15. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Keith,

Now you're asking but about 20 should do for the front rank. The challenge would be the Adjutant, Sir George Higginson, on his horse. Now that would be a substantial lump of clay:)

Pete
    Wings5797 likes this.
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    I'd go for the blood myself Keith a bit of the Sergey style splatter would be out of place on this but a degree of dried blood would add I think I'd suggest food colour as that works extremely well as dried blood but experiment with it on some barely wet paint and see how it stains
    Steve
    Wings5797 and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    If you don't count the horse, and as you say Pete that one big horse, you are on the money.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  18. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    What are you like Mr Pressfield? Do you look at everything with a view to using it on a figure.
    Don't answer that Steve, I know that you do.....I do too but I haven,t got round to the food counter yet. Could be a trip tomorrow. I wonder what cochineal is in French
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith
  19. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great piece and such a haunting realistic face

John
    Wings5797 likes this.
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks for your comments John,
    They are very much appreciated. I must say that the head was one of those that just go smoothly and are a pleasure to do. It does not happen for me too often.
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith