1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Desert rat to Malaya

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Ferris, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi All,

Hope to get some british uniform help on this one: Hornet's desert rat figure....can I use this figure to depict a soldier from the 1941/42 Malaya campaign?
    Is there anything on the figure that specifically makes it a desert rat?

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It would only be divisional and regimental insignia Adrian, unless you make him RAF on Malta.

The answer is as simple as that.
    I have seen this done very well in the past, It,s a great figure and you have a whole world of alternate british head to choose from by the same company to make any changes.
    Have you a specific unit in mind?

Paul
    Ferris likes this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Paul.

He seems to have some sleeves over his boots and I was worried that is some desert feature...?

No specific unit in mind yet. Actually, I don't see any unit markings anywhere on this one. Should there be some?

Thanks again for any advice.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Adrian, these are webbing gaiters, also called anklets.
    Made of the same canvas as the web belt haversack and pouches of WW2.

They fasten with two leather straps and brass buckles. The strap ends always point to the rear when worn.

Have you got colour uniform references for the British in Malaya?

Just google british tropical uniforms WW2
    and www.thefedoralounge.com shows some exact shades and colours by photos.
    Paul
    Ferris likes this.
  5. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Adrian

Paul is spot on with this, they were gaiters. My late Father was a Desert Rat, and I remember that he told me about them, when I painted that very figure for him.

Malc
    Ferris and tomifune like this.
  6. mick3272 A Fixture

Adrian in addition to Paul's Info.
    If your fig intends to be a rifle Regt the gaiter's
    would have been black . with boot polish.
    Mick
    Ferris and peedee like this.
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So Adrian.....it seems........we are all intrigued by the mystery project.

Paul ;) :)
    Ferris likes this.
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    An interesting picture taken after the surrender of Singapore. You can see a variety of uniforms worn in the Far East. Anklets do not seem to have been too popular - other versions are evident.
    Cheers, Martin
    Singapore_surrender_cut.jpg
    Ferris likes this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Paul, Mick, Malc, Martin, thanks very much for your input.

I'll be looking for some more pics of the Malaya/Singapore theatre and see if I can find any gaiters. If I don't I'm afraid my rivet counting gene will force me to do a slight conversion (this tends to happen when I want to do a quick out-of-the box paintjob...).

Paul, not too much mystery going on. Just some preliminary project research! :)

Cheers all,
    Adrian
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Then get rid of the gaiters for sure them Adrian and just show socks and boots or with small puttees.
    You would only see them in Singapore India or Malaya on Guard mounting or parade, and they didn't have time for much of that.
    Long green, sometimes black socks, or lovatt hose were worn with shorts which were lightweight denim themselves.
    If you have the putty out anyway, I would suggest extending the shirt down under the belt an over the shorts to make a lightweight tropical jacket too.

All the best.

Paul
    Ferris likes this.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Paul.
    With small puttees, do you mean the things the guy in the artwork is wearing?

Shouldn't be hard to redo the socks, but not really into extending the shirt to be honest.....like the original sculpt too much!

Did some googling in the meantime (that site you mentioned, it's a great resource!) and have a feeling that the sculpt has the 1940 style tropical uniform. Seeing the pic Martin posted, my feeling is a lot of those guys were still wearing that in Malaya.

Next problem...unit markings! Hope there are ways to avoid those actually....

Cheers,
    Adrian
  13. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian, Puttees yes,
    They are like ankle bandages in Khaki wool, wound three times around the boot and sock junction and then fastened with a central tape binding and a small knot
    at the outer side. If you add them they perfectly cover
    what you remove and stopped stray small stones getting
    into the boot when marching.
    They were still used until the late '80s when high top boots were introduced.
    Unit arm patches and badges are easy, but pretty unavoidable as they were the soldiers regimental pride .
    Pick whichever unit and pm me, I'll get 'em for you.

Paul
    Ferris likes this.
  14. mick3272 A Fixture

Adrian.
    Daft question. I take it you have googled pictures British Army Malaya 1941/2 There is a shed load of images.
    Q2, Will your chap be wearing Long trousers or Shorts ?
    If Long def gaiters.
    If Short then putties.
    Bearing in mind both these items of kit were to a, keep your feet dry. b, stop foreign objects getting in your boot.
    Mick
    Ferris likes this.
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks again guys.
    After going through quite a few photos from the campaign I think the gaiters will have to be replaced by those puttees, as can be seen on the guys on the bottom left on the attached photo Now I just need to know a bit more on how these work. I have difficulty finding info on this (probably because I don't know their name.....when I use puttees I predominantly get WW1 or Soviet pictures).
    Would you know how these wrap around the ankle and how they stay put?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

16. Ferris A Fixture

By the way, can't see unit badges on these shirts...?
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Ferris and mick3272 like this.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was going to describe that myself but thank god someone else already had.

Good find Roger.
    billyturnip likes this.
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Lol yes Paul I was going to try and describe it myself but did a search in the hope someone already had. :D
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's gunny seeing the cold war renactors putting them on, I watched one feller putting them on inside out.... so I let him carry on.
    Paul.
    billyturnip likes this.