1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Demi-Lancer Bust finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well guys, here is the piece I have been fussing over for the past month or so. It is United Empire’s Demi-Lancer bust. This is the box art that UEM is using for the kit. Shane Tarry, the sculptor, was kind enough to ask if I would paint this for their upcoming release. How could I say no?! Simple, beautifully sculpted and an interesting subject, the decision was easy!

Shane sent me an illustration that was the basis for the painting inspiration on this piece. I’ll include that in the post. Although the bust has a much cooler hat than that guy, I did use it for inspiration as far as the red leather cassock is concerned. It was pretty straight forward painting on this piece, printers inks were used for the metal cuirass and gorget, and the remainder is all done in oils. I chose a green color for the hat band/scarf for two reasons, I wanted to pick up on the green of his eyes and it is a compliment to the red/maroon of the cassock.

I love painting subjects with cool hats and cool facial hair so this one fit the bill in spades. Little or no clean up with the superb casting and the details speak for themselves. A real fun piece!

And yes, if you’ve noticed the photos I’m using this time are MUCH better than my usual. Well, a buddy of mine Jim, has a digital SLR and great lighting that we used. Thanks Jim! Since these are the box art photos I wanted nicer images for UEM, so I took advantage and snuck these into my VBench posting! Thanks for looking, and as usual, any and all comments are more than welcome!

Jay H.
    OKC

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The image that Shane sent me for color reference.
    [IMG]
  2. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Jay,

very nice bust and very well painted !!!

Best wishes,
    Markus

:) :) :)
  3. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Jay that's exceptionally done. I really like your smooth and neat paintjob. Great work buddy.

Xenofon
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Xenofon, Markus,
    Many many thanks for the kind words!

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jay,excellent work, looks great.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc.
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Many thanks Rocco!

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. homellop Active Member

Spain
    WOW!
    Jay,it's an amazing paint work! (y) (y) (y)
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent painting Jay,
    I really like that Maroon color. Giving it something special.

Marc
  9. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
  10. Lubitch Member

Poland
    SUPER !!!

cheers

Wojciech Lubicz-Lapinski
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jaume, Marc, Damian, Wojciech,
    thanks for nice comments guys! Much appreciated!

Jay H.
    OKC
  12. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hey Jay,
    nice work,has somthing differant about it that take's the eye!
    class paint job my friend... ;)

Best Regards
    Paul.
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul,
    thanks for the kind comment. I hope it's the eyes that draw you in. This bust holds a great deal of focus in the eyes and I tried to get them right! Especialy with the slightly raised brow on the left side there. Thanks again,

Jay H.
    OKC
  14. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi Jay,

nice paint, I like it.
    I have painted one of Shane's busts (the fall of Jerusalem 1099) and nearly finished the Man at Arm, and I have to say that I really like his sculpt style.
    Your paint job is really good. Your blendings are smooth.

Maybe one thing to say : the metal parts on the chest should reflect some of the red-brown of the jaket. It could add more realism if some red-brown were added in the metal shades.........

You did a good work anyway :)

JP
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Absolutely stunning Jay. Pictures do not do this figure justice. Please post a photo of the figure once the brass plaque has been attached to the base.
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, you are far too kind! Thanks!

JP, thanks for the kind words. You have a very interesting proposition with the reflected color. Definitely something I'll have to work towards the next time I get a chance. I really like Shane's style as well. Funny you should be painting the "Man at Arms" because that piece is right at the top of my wish list and I hope to pick one up in Atlanta! Thanks for the comments!

Jay H.
    OKC
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, Very very nice. I really like your painting style.~Gary
  18. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks a bunch Gary! New avatar huh? Is that a current project?

Jay H.
    OKC
  19. Brent Fordham New Member

Canada
    Wow! I like this one - great work!
  20. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Many thanks Brent! You should pick one of these beauties up from UEM. A great little project!

Jay H.
    OKC