1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Defeat - Russia 1812 - part 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Jan 10, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many apologies for the delay since my original post before xmas, its always a busy time with friends and family and visiting and drinking and I just never got round to doing modelling at all, however I've started to paint the piece but at present its only about 50% finished, I have quite a few more bits to sort out yet.
    I hope all my fellow modellers had a good xmas and I wish you all a happy new year.

I started of with painting the colpack which I basecoated with an equal mix mix of GW mournfang brown and chaos black, I decided to leave the pom pom attached but removed the plume as this probably wouldn't have been present during the retreat,once dry this was followed by lighteng the basemix with GW skrag brown,once dry I applied GW washes of agrax earthshade to tone the colour down abit and finished with washes of sepia oil paint.
    I don't use any snow powders of any kind on my figures anymore,to replicate the snow I used Humbrol acrylic 34 matt white and applied to the areas of the colpack with small pieces of sponge,this part is done very sparingly working from a light frosting and building it up until youre satisfied with the result,in some areas I like to add smudges of dirt using sepia and burnt umber oils again applied with the sponge or old brush and finished with again the matt white.
    Working from images and photos and film clips I really wanted that cold frosted look,i added some weathering very sparingly to the facial areas notably the bridge of the nose and cheek bones,eyebrows as well I touched in and facial hair,moustaches always look great on winter scenes,over the xmas period I watched Dr Zhivago and this film has some great scenes to work from,the film being set against the backdrop of the Russian revolution,i managed to get some ideas from this,one being trying to add some tiny icycles from the bottom of the colpack above the face,id never done this before but I was happy with the result,again it dosent need to much,i will possibly add some touches of varnish to give it a little sparkle on completion.
    Painting of the torn flag was achieved using Andrea Blue paint set and finished in oils as was the red as well,for the white I used again matt white 34 and shaded with oil,the flag is not yet finished as I still have some work to do on this yet.
    And that's where I'm upto at the moment.

Many thanks for looking,your coments and critisism are always welcome,once again A Happy New Year.

Brian
    winter 1812 001.JPG winter 1812 002.JPG winter 1812 003.JPG winter 1812 004.JPG winter 1812 008.JPG winter 1812 009.JPG winter 1812 010.JPG winter 1812 011.JPG winter 1812 013.JPG winter 1812 015.JPG winter 1812 018.JPG winter 1812 020.JPG winter 1812 022.JPG winter 1812 024.JPG winter 1812 025.JPG winter 1812 028.JPG

Brian / Smudger
    Borek, Edorta, Grod and 7 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Happy New Year to you too Brian.
    Fantastic work Mate, I wish that I had the balls to paint with such honesty to the situation.
    The matt white works really well for the snow effects. I am never too sure about the 'snow products'. They always seem to smother the details.
    If you still have 50% to put into this, I just can't wait.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic work Brian, a real smudgerism he looks so cold (y)

Ron
  4. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian
    Great ,job I feel his pain and went and put my coat on and turned the heating job done for me ,looking forward to seeing this progress , and will spur me on tho complete my Andrea 90 m retreat 1812 figure ,cracking job I would write more but my hands are frozen lol
    Cheers Chris
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Known to his friends as Lucky.....:)

Looks great as it is Brian. I can see where you plan to take the painting forward and the challenge will be to avoid 'warming' what is a brilliant sense of cold.
    Like others I'm very keen to see the final piece.
    Cheers
    Derek
  6. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Brian, he really does look frozen, I think the icicle is a great touch.
    Best wishes, Gary.
  7. Mark S Guest

Nicely done Brian, colder than a well digger's arse. Love the snowing backdrop too, that works well.
  8. swralph A Fixture

9. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Well done, Brian. Very realistic freezing effects. And thanks for sharing your experience as well.
  10. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice paintwork.
    Gordon
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much for your kind comments keith,the reason I don't use any sort of powders now is because when I want to clean them the powder comes off (y)
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much Ron for those comments,glad you like it so far :)
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks chris for your comments,(y)
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Del mate,glad you like it and thanks for the comments :)
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much gary for those comments,if I have it finished for the 4th feb i'll bring it along to the club meeting (y)
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for those kind comments mark, (y)
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much ralph for those comments (y)
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    No Poblem Jason,thanks for looking and your kind comments,:)
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much Gordon for your kind comments,(y)
  20. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Brian,

I forgot to comment this work. Weel, there isnot much to say, except that you did another excelente work! Both in sculpting and in painting this but.
    Very very good conversion!

Regards
    Pedro