1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Decent Hobby shops in Florida?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Saginaw79, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Saginaw79 New Member

United-States
    Hobbytown USA has gone all RC basically so I am w/o a model shop to buy 1/16 and 1/35 military models. ANyone know of some good retailers in the states, preferably Tampa, Florida area

Seems this is a dying hobby in America. :(
  2. magister militum New Member

United-States
    Can't help you with Florida but I suggest buying from one of the fine online retailers here in the states, Red Lancers, Colorado Miniatures, Michigan Toy Soldiers, ect. They are the ones keeping the figure hobby alive in the states.
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Johns hobby is in Florida. Not sure which town.
    Cheers
    John
  4. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Its not that its dying in America or Florida, its that the internet is killing the brick and mortar shop. Figure wise there is very little in FL.
    John's Hobbys is in Cantonement which is up around Pensacola. Bobe's Hobbies is in the same area. Kits and figures at both.

Tampa has little in the way of small shops any more. Most of them were killed off by Hobby Town.

Orlando has a Colonial Photo and Hobby which is a great source of kits.

Sanford has a Hobbytown that still carries kits.

On the East Coast there is Hobby Town in Melbourne which still carries plastic. Northside Hobbies Kit Bunker on Aurora Road in Melbourne which carries nothing but plastic in new kits and very hard to find oldies. The guy is a walking enclyclopedia of kit knowledge and his shop is small but packed with kits. Ray's Hobbies in Melbourne.

Space Coast Hobbies in Palm Bay.

Spare Time Hobbies in Cocoa has kits of various scales and is split with R/C and plastic. Lots of A/C and ships.

That's all I have off hand. I'll dig around and see if there is anything more in the Tampa area but honestly, unlikely. The few times I've gone on a shop crawl across the state I've found little and most of the shops that are still in business have given way to R/C. I'll admit, I get most of my stuff at shows these days.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'll second the recommendation in Chuck Robinson's The Red Lancers store. The URL for his website is

http://www.redlancers.com/

I have to say, as a kid, no hobby shop I ever went to carried anything like the figures we see here, except for the odd Ral Partha blister packs, or Valiant and Monogram-Merite 54mm metal figures. Today, that's pretty much the same figure selection our local Hobbytown carries-wargaming figures, and also 1/72 plastic figures. But in and among the armor kits are Tamiya's 1/35 sets, so young modelers do get some exposure to figures.

If I were you, I'd talk to the owner at your local HT and see if he'd be willing to carry, or at least, track down, figures from the lines you've worked with. I know that the owner of our local store (Allentown PA) is happy to add things to his lines, if there's interest.