1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Decal's/Transfer's and figure's

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by swralph, Oct 11, 2016.

1. swralph A Fixture

Hello my friends.
    There are a fair few figure's that I like that contain shield's with various pattern's on them.
    I won't by them simply because I'm no good at freehand drawing/painting.
    However if they contained a decal of the pattern I would buy them.

I know there are many reason's why this is not done..cost being the main one.

I just wonder what other people think about this..
    All the best.
    Ralph.
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Depending on the scale or size, you might find decals that cover your subject. I've got some Peddinghaus sets in 1/72, for example, of Prussian medieval shields. I'm going to use them for Maschinen Krieger builds, but they're out there on the market.

Prost!
    Brad
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey Ralph you have no more excuses ha haaar.
    try these buddy.
    Historex agents transfers 54mm. Screenshot_2016-10-11-19-58-27-1.png Screenshot_2016-10-11-19-58-51-1.png Screenshot_2016-10-11-19-59-03-2.png Screenshot_2016-10-11-19-57-57-1.png Screenshot_2016-10-11-19-58-40-1.png
    Also....Brass reverse stencils from Nimix.
    I think thrre's more thsn I have shown here
    p

Attached Files:

theBaron likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really ?
    Whats up with them Ralph?

P
    swralph likes this.
  6. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    You can always apply the decal and if you don't like it, use acrylic paint to cover it. You have the design for you to follow. Kind of a paint by numbers approach.

Gary D
    swralph likes this.
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Your work is so good that I am surprised you don't give freehand a go Ralph. Try a simple design to start with you might surprise yourself. There was a good sbs and on handling freehand work on here a few months ago perhaps someone can point you to it.
    Keith
    napoleonpeart and swralph like this.
  8. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    swralph likes this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

Hi Paul.
    I have used dry transfers before(Verlinden)and they went well on an M113 I did many moons ago.
    The trouble with the Andrea ones, is that they don't come off the backing sheet very well.A fair few bits of the transfer tends not to come off.
    I have 4 different packets of them and each one I used was the same.
  10. swralph A Fixture

I've tried freehand Keith and I am just no good.
    Maybe I should sit down and practice more.
  11. swralph A Fixture

12. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    What an absolute pain.
    P
    swralph likes this.
  13. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I have used 'temporary tattoos' - picked up whilst on holiday in Greece & Spain. Only cost a few euro's, and work very well. Mainly fantasy & Celtic designs, but come in a miriad of shapes and sizes. Only major drawback is that they tend to be black in colour. I suppose one could paint over them in colour of your choice?

BR
    Ian
    swralph likes this.
  14. swralph A Fixture

Hi Ian.
    I have looked into Temporary tattoos.
    I did find them to be ok when I used them on a car that a friend gave me to do.
    But I have yet to find anything suitable for figure's.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Didn't someone make heraldry stencils once upon a time? :confused:

If you fancy painting a Roman without the complicated shield design fabricate a cover for it.
    [IMG]

Apparently tissue paper and pva glue is the way to do it but again, like the stencils, I might be making all this up. :confused: (Again)
    swralph likes this.
  16. polyphemus Well-Known Member

No you're not making things up re the stencils. They were made & retailed by Tommi. I think I might still have some lurking away somewhere. From memory they included medieval, Japanese, Roman etc but then again it was several years ago.

Geoff
  17. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Tommi also did them in more than one scale-drop him a line Ralph, I used them on a legionary shield and they gave you the outline and spacing to be able to freehand the colour detail.

Keith
    swralph likes this.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Geoff, Keith, thanks very much for confirming that. I had a feeling it was Tommi but wasn't confident enough to commit to adding it to my post in case I was wrong.
  19. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    I'm painting a 200mm GI figure in Vietnam, and looking for the 173rd AB Brigade shoulder patch as a decal. Does anyone know where I can find one?
    Thank You
  20. Chris Ribchester A Fixture

England
    Have you thought of making your own decals, the decal film is easy to come buy then you can print your design using an ink jet printer.
    I've done this in the past on hgv models and they come out great.

Chris
    peedee and swralph like this.