1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Death's Head Hussar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, May 18, 2015.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    It's been over three years since I painted my last bust, so I thought it was time to do one again. I picked up the great looking piece from Young Miniatures. This is the second time they've released a Prussian Hussar and it's a really great dynamic sculpt. For the time being, I've left the arm off as it would make painting the face and details on the front of the coat much more difficult. I did test fit it and there did not appear to be any gaps that would need filling, so it shouldn't be a problem to attach it later.

I'm working with acrylics, primarily Reaper Master Series paints. I went more extreme with the contrast than I have in the past. It's a style choice and something I wanted to experiment with. Even though it's a larger scale I still think you can push the contrast. Here is what I have so far.
    H07.jpg H09.jpg H08.jpg

Here's a closer look at some of the colors I used. In the dark shadows I've got a mix of Mahogany Brown, Rosy Shadow, and Burgundy Wine (roughly 70/20/10). The lightest spots are fair skin, fair highlight, and even pure white in a few spots. Then, for some of the intermediate shadows I've used either Rosy Shadow or a mix of Rosy Shadow and Fair Skin. On top of the regular shading and highlighting, I used a variety of glazes - red on the cheeks and tip of the nose, blue on the jaw, and purple to reinforce some of the shadows.
    colors02.jpg
    Perseas, garyhiggins, Tommi and 35 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work

Marc
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I like your result and your creative way of indicating colours used.

Colin
    Scotty and Rich Sculpts like this.
  4. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done. I like the high contrast. I also like the consistency of the Reaper Paints.
  5. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Excellent painting Bailey!! Can't wait to see it done :)

Regards
    Pedro
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Very cool Bailey...
    Probably amongst the best, most realistic eyes I've seen on a bust... bloodshot effect is amazing! Great emotion in this face...

I'm not a huge fan of busts/half figs but I will be following this one closely, pen in hand, gleaning your acrylic recipes. :sneaky:

Colin
    Scotty likes this.
  7. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone!

Colin (crf), thanks. It's the first time I've tried showing colors that way. Sometimes in the photos it's hard to tell what is paint and what is just shadows from the lighting, so I thought this would help make it clearer.

Colin (ChaosCossack), thanks, I was really happy with how the eyes turned out. As the scale goes up I try to add more detail, so the bloodshot effect was something I thought I'd try out on this guy. It was a lot of back and forth with the red and white colors. I tried to paint thin lines in red, but couldn't get them thin enough. So I'd dab white on around it to make them thinner. And, of course, at times I'd completely wipe out the red by accident, so I'd add it back and try again. Maybe at some point I'll try it on a slightly smaller scale... though even at 90mm I don't think I could pull it off.

I agree, I definitely prefer full figures. But, every once in a while, I see a bust that I just can't pass up.
    Scotty, Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    An SBS in a WIP Critique thread, now how cool is that :cool:!

Excellent work Bailey, looking forward to seeing more (y)!

Joe
    Scotty likes this.
  9. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Wow! Amazing sculpt and brush work. This is a simply outstanding figure that I've missed along the way. I love it,keep it up I can't wait to see more.
  10. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    The eyes are great but I LOVE the rendition of the teeth! Also of course is the great blending of colors but I really like the teeth!

Kevin
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow superb painting and an SBS to boot, fantastic idea. (y)

Bob
  12. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Fantastic skin tones...what a great start. Can't wait to see more.

Xenofon
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very nice indeed love the skin tones and the eyes look very life like well done all round.

ian
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Bailey,

Again your skin tones are awesome ...great SBS ..looking forward to seeing more

Thanks for sharing...you can't beat a bust!

Nap
  15. Maher R. Member

United-Arab-Emirates
    Brilliant coloring Bailey! (y)
    I have this in my stash and looking at yours made me want to put it first in coloring queue!

Looking forward to the final bust!

Regards,

Maher
  16. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you for the comments, guys!

This is just a small update. I made some minor changes to the face with a few more glaze applications. I also reworked the hair a bit. I tried to smooth out some of the transitions and also exaggerated the highlights more. I started out with your basic dark to medium browns. Then I started to mix in tanned skin and then fair skin to highlight the hair. Those skin tones are really nice highlight colors for hair. I went from brown to roughly 75/25 brown and tanned skin. Into that I mixed fair skin. I went to at least 50/50 fair skin + brown/tanned skin mix, maybe even 66/33. Then just a bit of white for the most exaggerated highlights.

Hair is definitely a pain to work on. And I see a number of spots that still need work. After that I'll be ready to move on to his clothing... which presents its own set of challenges. I was originally going to do a dark green that matched the box art, but based on some research help from the forum it seems his clothing should be black and not dark green. So yeah, that should be fun. =P

H14.jpg H10.jpg H11.jpg H12.jpg H13.jpg
    tiberius57, Perseas, Martin64 and 8 others like this.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I love the eyes and the very smooth transitions from highlight to shades on the cheekbones. Outstanding painting Bailey. I'm following this project with interest.
  18. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    There's really no mistaking what's going through this chap's mind is there? Well done on a great paint job Bailey, and I'm just off to a quiet room to burn my brushes(y)(y)(y).
    Best wishes, Gary.
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Bailey - I appreciate that you are doing the close-ups for the painters, but could we have a couple normal photos just to have some comparison?

All the best,
    Dan
  20. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you, Tony, Gary, and Dan.

Dan, sure, I actually took a couple normal photographs last night. Here you go

H15.jpg H17.jpg H21.jpg
    tiberius57, Perseas, frank h and 3 others like this.