1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Death Dealer (.... more or less) wip

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by thor14, Feb 6, 2014.

1. thor14 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi guys, this is my attempt to sculpt a warrior like the Death Dealer, or a barbarian, or a demon....... at today I'm still very undecided; the only thing I know is that I'd like to cover as little as possible the body.
    There are many pictures of the wip from the construction of the dummy to the point where I arrived yesterday. I hope it can be useful to someone:

dummy wire 1 mm with setting pelvis, thorax, skull and skeleton of posture:
    [IMG]

start attacking balls of gray stuff (start with this because it is very sticky putty and hardens much earlier than Milliput):

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    Start to "reinforce" the finer points, to search for the right volumes and start to work on the base of the face:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    At one point, I am struck by a picture found on the net and I decided to radically change the pose (hoping not to have other thoughts):
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I set up the base and secured the weapon. I started giving the forms and fill volumes to start from the right side of the body.
    [IMG]

I went quite a bit ahead with the anatomy, making nearly all the volumes of the back, and adding a bit of putty on various parts of the body. To my "weird" way to work, I try to achieve, for each group of muscles, few "still" points, wait until the putty cures hard, and then add the remaining volumes, and this is seen by the different colors of the putty on the same anatomical area:
    [IMG]
    I went ahead and made even the base of the belt:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. thor14 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I finished the top of the right hand, I began to refine his right arm, I began to work on his legs and I realized the base of the decoration on the belt:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Here is the progress (... small) made ​​yesterday: I have almost completed her left arm, I continued to work on his legs, I started to work on the face (even if it is completely covered .... I think) and the decoration on the belt:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Who wants can also follow the work on facebook at "Thor Creart".
    Black Army, Kisifer, crf and 15 others like this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You make it look so easy, brilliant and very dynamic.(y)
  4. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Fantastic work(y) . Great dynamic pose, very expressive musculature, it will be an awesome character;) . I look forward to continuing your work. Cheers Borek
  5. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Looks superb, I like the ball method for the muscles.
    Where can you get gray stuff in the uk, any recommendations.
    I like the fact you say it dries quicker than milliput
    Best wishes
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Gra30 likes this.
  7. swralph A Fixture

Excellent work so far(y)
  8. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Carl, I have some pro create.
    It is quite sticky so not used it much, will give it a go for forming though
    Thanks mate
  9. thor14 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you very much, guys.

Gra30:
    Putty I call "grey stuff" is an epoxy putty made by Gale Force Nine. I but it in Uk on ebay store.
    Gra30 likes this.
  10. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thank you Thor, I will look for it
    All the best
  11. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Excellent!
    I would suggest a somewhat fantasy Viking Berserker. The Death Dealer is one of my favorite characters, but he is basically covered head to foot in armor, cape, chain mail and gore. This guy with the typical wolf pelt and boots would look fantastic swinging a cool fantasy ax. I would make his face (if I could sculpt!:rolleyes:) more angry or shouting. Some inspiration

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Eirik-Longaxe-Concept.jpg
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Thor, this is great, to me it looks like a mix of classical Greek, Japaneeze martial arts, and D C comics, I hope I have the right idea? From your pictures, I am guessing that the size is about 90 to 100mm?
    I have been thinking of doing a SBS of one of my sculpts, but your SBS's are so good I can't really see the point
    Best wishes, Gary.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome!!!
    Some great tips and advice for beginners in your SBS... thanx for that!

Look forward to the completion of this figure

Colin
  14. thor14 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you very much for your reply, guys. I'm very hapy.

JasonB:
    Thank you very much for your suggestions, JasonB. Change him into a berserker is a great idea, but I woild like to do a pure fantasy work. I had thought of something like Frazetta's Dark Wolf. What do you think?

garyhigins:
    Thank you, Gray. I think the SBS are not enough. I think that many people have never tried to sculpt something for fear that it is too difficult. I like to think that someone, after seeing an SBS, try to sculpt something himself. For me that would be wonderful.
    P.s. is a 90 mm scale figure.
    Thank you, ChaosCossack.[/quote]
  15. nico37 Member

France
    Hi,

very great sculpt work !!!!:woot:

And thanks for the in progress pics, could be very usefull !

nico
  16. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    That's looking pretty darn good, love the muscle detail so far. Its great to see your SBS, seeing you do your art and making it look so easy. Knowing your finished work, I am looking forward to this one
    Ben
  17. thor14 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you vey much, Ben.
  18. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hello Thor, probably a daft question, but can you give me a time scale as between the first of your photos and the latest? It just seems that the whole process is very fast, and I know from personal experience, that it isn't. ( A lot of my stuff spends an awful lot of time on the window shelf while I am doing other things, or trying to figure out what's wrong with it).
    Best wishes, Gary.
  19. thor14 Well-Known Member

United-States
    From the first to the last photo there will be about ten hours of work. The process seems fast because I try to work simultaneously on different areas, but keep in mind that, beyond the visual impact (the forms and general volumes), there is nothing finished. There is still much, much work to do to complete the anatomy, then I'm gonna 'go to clothing and detail him.
    One important thing (at least for me) is that I love to sculpt anatomy, (I have not studied this, but I read comics from when I was a child) and this (I think) helps me at this stage of the work.
  20. thor14 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are the latest updates. I made the skirt, the ax, the fluttering fur (I have yet to sculpt a chain or ties for closure) I separated the head and I began to realize hair, but I don't like the face, I think it'll just resculpt, I changed idea too many times in the course of work, and the result does not satisfy me.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]