1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dead Stretcher Bearer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dead Stretcher Bearer, 1916

Kreston Peckham completed painting on this one and sent it to me a couple weeks ago. I think he did an outstanding job!! Hope you like it!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. eissteban Active Member

France
    So when i said that your collection is become great ;)

really good vignette

Seb.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks again, Sebastien! Kreston did a great job painting it, didn't he?

All the best,
    Dan
  4. eissteban Active Member

France
    yes Dan and the action is really dramatic
  5. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Dan, lovely work and an excellent subject choice. You have translated the message in the painting very effectively into 3-D, which is not as easy as people think.

One comment, and this is purely personal and dosen't reflect on the excellent work, in the picture the blanket over the right leg stretches down into the mud, adding to the dramatic effect. Yours falls shorter, was this a conscious choice, or as is often the case, just how it came out?

Painting this will be very difficult, in muted colours, I hope we will be able to see the finished result.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Robert,
    Many thanks! Very observant of you! The blanket was done as one large thin piece of putty and I have to admit, I couldn't always get it to do what I wanted. Just how it came out is I think the answer. I'm a little confused at your painting comment...the above IS the finished result, completed by Kreston Peckham, not oui.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Dan

I have a special interest in WW1 figures, particularly ANZAC's on the Western Front so this vignette is especially exciting for me. I love your WW1 vignettes and the fact that you dare to show the horrofic consequences of war and its victims.
    As a former soldier myself I appreciate the effort to show the truth of war.
    Do you sculpt your own skeltons or are they commercial?
    Regards
    Tony
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Awesome work !!!
    Love to see it on a show !
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Vergilius - Many thanks!!

Tony - Thanks again for your kind comments! I appreciate your interest. I start mostly with chunks of hard putty - torso and hips - linked by wire. This is the "skeleton", but sculptors call it an armature, for some reason. I put it in the pose I want and keep futzing with the putty, adding more, cutting, sanding, etc., until done. The skeletons I showed in the "On the Wire" vignette were from metal ones from Sol Models. I used the skeletons themselves as the armatures, adding thin slices of putty for clothing. Not a technique I would recommend, nor would I use it again. It is all too easy to end up with a bulky-looking figure. I also don't recommend using the commercially available resin mannikins for the same reason. If you bought one of them and sanded it until it looked anorexic, then scribed lines all over it to hold onto the putty, that would be about right as a starting point, but it's a lot easier just to use small blocks of hardened putty and wire.

All the best,
    Dan
  10. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Dan, somehow the painted version came up when I was typing my posting, makes me look dim! It looks great, very thought provoking. I love the way you are happy to take on unusual and challenging subjects.
  11. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Outstanding work!

You have my respect.

Spike.
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Robert, many thanks for your kind comments! I really enjoy your sculpting and you don't exactly trod the beaten path yourself, my friend! Something a little unusual and difficult - why not? Life is too short for always steering the easy course. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Spike - Thanks very much! I enjoy and admire your work also!!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Dan, Kreston did a marvellous job, looks great.

Roger