"Dead Men Tell No Tales"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Apr 29, 2005.

1. diosytexas Member

England
    hi guy. i'm blown away. love the colours. well done.dave.
  2. Calvin Member

Thanks to the patience of my mate, I'm 'allowed' to have the exclusive use of a small room. Now, having inherit the laziness gene from my aunt, I setup a permanent, quick and dirty studio on the upper of a rack. As you can see, is a really smart but effective solution, at least it works for me... (only 90 cm from the working area, just love the best result with minimun effort rule...).
    Also consider that generally you must adjust the white balance of the camera only when working with artificial light, not with daylight.

PS: shame the cable to connect the camara to the PC id not long enough, so I must mount and dismount the camara from the tripod everytime...

Attached Files:

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Great set-up Luca. I like the blocks you have made for the lights to fasten to. I may have to bite the bullit and creat such a set-up as well. Its just figuring out where.
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I meant to check in earlier on this thread and tell you how much I like the vignette.

It is quite striking and the figures all have their own unique "flavor"!

Keith
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Keith......I've tried to give each their own personalit, so to speak and give them some color....much more than what the traditional Verlinden box art does. I got the first pirate as a gift and was amazed at the character in the face and had to order another....then another....then what the heck....I ordered their whole Pirate series. Hope to do all of them in various single / vignettes this fall.
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Progress is made with the captain blending and shading his trouser leg, jacket, vest and sash.

[IMG]

The drybrushing has also been started with the first being done on the jacket, vest and sash.

[IMG]

Here are the pegged arms, also drybrushed and the lace has been given a humbrol chocolate base coat.

[IMG]

all comments welcome.
  7. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Looks REALLY COOL,Guy;you're right,your colour choice is SO MUCH more attractive compared to the original box art's. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kenneth. The different colors has been fun to paint.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great Work Guy,

I would see it again after 3 weeks. Within a couple of hours i leave for a vacation to the Alps of Austria.
    So i really looking forward to the finish.

Marc.
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marc.........have a great vacation.
  11. Marius New Member

Spain
    Nice scene Guy, plenty of colour. I'm looking forward to see it finished. (y)
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marius............Here is a photo of the head just placed into the neck socket to see how the flesh related to the rest of the colors.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I take the head back off and proceed to attach the arms with the right one first. As I said before, this is the worst fitting Verlinden kit I have encountered and even after dry fitting, I knew there would be some filling needed.

[IMG]

Most of the filling is in the rear with a small gap to be filled with magic sculpt.

[IMG]

Magic sculpt is roughed into the gap and later a toothpic is used to remove as much of the excess as can be allowed. I later take a flat brush and water and work the magic sculpt smoothly over the seam.

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is one reason I love my enamels. I will touch up the filled area with red and re-blend the area. I always save my final dry-brushing to after all the joints are attached so as to match the paint perfectly where a seam has been done.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful, Guy! Just awesome!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Doughboy417 New Member

You are a FANTASTIC painter i could only dream about being able to paint this good. You ROCK!!!!!
    A+++++++++++++++ :)
  15. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hello Guy,

Your pirate is going to be a stunner. I love the shading and lighting on the red coat, as a matter of fact, I like the whole of it!

Kind regards ;)

Johan
  16. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Great Work Guy!! I especialy like the green and red tones...keep the good work :)
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Guy, my friend, I echo what everybody said, nice work.
    Your technique reminds me of Henry Lion, he also used humbrols and the dry brush technique.

Keep up the good work. ;)

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Dan, Johan and Ernest.......I appreciate the kind words.

Roc........yes, I spent many hours with Henri learning the dry-brush technique. Its not used much anymore but I still favor it for worn look to clothing and leather. I just finished taking some pics of the Pirate and will post them in the morning.......too tired tonight.
  19. Pete_H New Member

Guy,
    Can you please describe, in detail, your fleshtone painting technique?

I'm really curious ...
  20. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Guy, I still have his book My Way I found it a few years go at a show, the guy was brilliant with a paint brush. ;)

Cheers

Roc. :)