1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Darth Maul

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

While my boys were napping I decided to really try something different and that is a flat and to make things even more different it is of Darth Maul, he is from Star Wars for those of you who did not know! :lol: It is in the beginning stages and it is a blast to paint. Not sure if this is right or wrong but I am giving it a try. The best thing is it is going to go on my 3 year olds wall.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    a close up

Attached Files:

3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks cool, Joe! Where did you get him?
  4. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Neat figure, Joe. I'm anxious to see him completed. Looks like a 30 mm piece?
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    A flat! Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle that light saber.

BTW, I'll be emailing you soon about our trip to St. Louis.
  6. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Joe,

Superb painting so far. What brand is this? I do note the producer has forgotten a couple of horns on his head. How will you do the lightsaber?

Greetz,

Gino
  7. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Well well..........he got it from Boston if I'm not mistaken or? I think I saw it :(

Cool buddy........yeah I'm keen to see that light saber depicted in flat form :eek: ......

Take care,

Ray ;)
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks good Joe.......I too look forward to seeing it completed
  9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the encouragement! :lol: I too am really looking forward to the lightsaber. It will be quite the challenge but fun nonetheless.

Jason,

As my good buddy Ray has said I picked it up in Boston along with Darth Vader. They had several others but me boys really like these two, so the choice was made easy.

Pat,

I am not sure of the scale but it is tiny for me!

Gino,

I knew that you would know the rights and wrongs of him. ;)

John,

I look forward to the e-mail and the visit.

Ray,

Yes, it was the one you saw in Boston. I needed something small to start work on while I do the bust.

Here are a few new pictures. Remember it is my first one, so a long way to go.

Joe

Attached Files:

10. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another one

Attached Files:

11. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    You're doing a great job for your first flat Joe.
    It's looking good.

All the best.

Roy.
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    VERY NICE,Joe :lol: :lol: !! Keep up the good work and post more soon ! Cheers from Singapore.
    Kenneth :)
  13. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Good? No it's not good, it's fantastic!!! I think flats are so much harder to paint then round figures, and you do a fantastic job. Even if it was your one hunderd flat it is still amazing. Do you happen to know the brand of these little gems?

Hope to see more soon,

Gino.

P.S. Maybe you can paint two yellow lines next to the red ones in his eyes. Just like the "real" one.
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, Kenneth and Gino,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I am not sure how it is going but I am having a blast doing it. Here are a few updated pictures. I hope to try and finish him soon.

Gino,

I think you are right about the eyes, I tried it but it barley showed up and looked more of a mess. I know you will know about the lightsaber, they did not put anything in and I only had a small area to work so it is not correct but close, I hope.

Joe

Attached Files:

15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gino,

Sorry but I do not know the name of the company but will find out for you very soon.

Joe

Attached Files:

16. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Joe,
    It looks good so far. There's just one thing that looks odd to me: you've painted the casted shadow of the light sabre on the coat, but a light sabre should not cast shadow, but light :lol:
    I think some reddish lights on the coat area close to the sabre would look better.
    The rest of it looks great. I hope my 20th flat, if i ever paint any, looks half as good as your 1st one!
  17. Doughboy417 New Member

Wow great job on the saber. (y)
  18. Greg Bowman Member

Looks good… Joe (y) Darth Maul is one of my favorite characters from Star wars too bad he only lasted one episode.
  19. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luis,

Thanks. Like we talked about I will see what can be done. I look forward to seeing you do one of these flats. ;)

Bobby,

Thanks. I was pretty happy with it and think it looks better in person, then again I could be wrong. :)

Hey Greg,

I too like Darth Maul and it would have been nice to have him hang around a little longer.

Here is a picture of the scale and I think one of the best pictures I was able to take.

Joe

Attached Files:

20. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another picture

Attached Files: