1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book DarkStar Miniatures 1st Century Roman

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommi, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Here we have a 1st Century Roman the latest offering from a newly formed and up and coming company DarkStar Miniatures and Casting Services run by sculptor and painter Steve Crisp.

The figure is the latest addition to their range of historical pieces to run alongside their already establish fantasy range of figures, busts and soon to be released metallic paint sets.

The figure has been sculpted by the very talented Maurice Corry and is made up of ten light grey resin parts, it measures up at 75mm in scale.

In the pictures below we can see close ups of the various parts of the figure kit. Initial close inspection of the parts show a high level of detail in the casting and very clean finish of the parts with only a few small mould blocks to remove and a small seam line part way down the left leg which can be removed very easily but if missed would be hidden by the shield once fitted.

The level of detail sculpted into the chainmail is quite exceptional with a very shallow and extremely fine and small pattern looking very authentic and very much in scale with the rest of the figure.

Conclusion:

A very nice addition to the growing range of historical figures from DarkStar. This piece has a very dynamic pose once assembled and looks great as a stand alone piece or with another mounted Celtic figure from their range.

All parts are well cast and dry fitting shows exact fitting with no gaps. Clean up is very minimal. It took me approximately 30 minutes to clean and mask all parts prior to priming.

This figure will be the subject of painting the chainmail using the new range of metallic paints from DarkStar Minitures. Highly recommended.

Availability:

This coming weekend 20th and 21st September, Euro Militaire Show, Folkstone, UK for anyone attending.

Darkstar Miniatures And Casting Services web site: www.darkstarmini.co.uk

Cheers

Tommi

IMG_1.jpg IMG_2.jpg IMG_3.jpg IMG_4.jpg IMG_5.jpg IMG_6.jpg IMG_7.jpg IMG_8.jpg
    napoleonpeart, jerry, MCPWilk and 2 others like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

Great review Tommi thanks for sharing.How did you connect the cocktail sticks to the scabbards?
  3. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ralph

I use a drill bit in a pin vice and hand drill a very shallow hole in the back of the scabbard. I then cut the end off the cock tail stick so there is basically a flat end on the stick then push and twist it into the small hole I drilled, make the stick fractionally bigger than the hole so it uses a wedging effect. I then apply a masking agent to the area where I do not want paint before priming and this also helps to hold everything together.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers
    Tommi
    swralph likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

Thanks Tommi.
  5. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Thans for the review. Can I see a close up of the back armor below the waist? It seems like the fold in the middle lacks the detail in the chainmail.
  6. steve c Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Piotrec
    Its the image I can assure you there is chainmail detail there I think it must of been the light
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I will post photos of the back later this evening. I am painting the chain mail as we speak so we will be able to see the highlighted detail and the area of concern (of which there is none) I am using the new Darkstar metallic paints for this purpose with amazing results.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  8. steve c Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Tommi
    Glad they are going well for you
  9. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work Tommi, couple of questions, are you reviewing the celt as well and will you be doing a wip re the metallic painting

regards Zane
  10. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Zane

In answer to your question I will be posting some images of the chainmail painting of the Roman figure and I am happy to review the mounted Celt if Steve wants me to. Trying hard to get the painting done the past few days but being hampered by and old and unwell farther in law.:inpain:

Cheers
    Tommi