1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Darkness - more progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to share some pictures of this one showing a bit of progress.
    I especially want to point out the base. It's an oak block made for me by a friend. What I did to it was to spray it with a paint from plasticoat that has made it look like stone. It's a pretty cool looking effect (I think).

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Close up of the base...

Attached Files:

3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    And the face so far...
    As always, I'd appreciate any thought or suggestions you might have for me.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig,
    great work so far! This is a great piece. I like what you have done with the base. I think it it adds an appropriate amount of "strength" to the piece with the simulated rock texture. I forget, is this bust 1/4 scale? I just got ahold of Geometrics Metaluna alien bust in 1/4 scale and it is a BEAST! What a hunk of resin. I can't imagine how big these horns must be in the same scale!! Keep us posted!

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,

Looks ugly :lol: , not the painting but the figure. It must be an ugly. So i wouldt suggest that you paint the eyes fluorescent yellow.
    That would be great.
    One question. Why is the figure so shiney?? Wet paint or what.
    Keep going. I like it.

Marc
  6. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I too would be interested in more detail on what you did with the base - not that I don't appreciate the bust.
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the comments :)

Jay,
    I'm not sure of the scale but 1/4 sounds right to me. It's HUGE! My hand begins to shale after holding it for awhile when painting. I'm not familiar with the bust you mentioned. Do you have a picture or a link showing it?

Marc,
    Yep..it's ugly all right. My wife hates it :lol: .
    Looking at pictures of this figure from the movie, I believe you're right about the eyes. What I'm planning is yellow eyes with black diamond shape pupils. Sost of like I did on my Drago bust. The reason it's so shiny is that I used gloss paints. The horns are Alclad Black base and the skin is Model Master Chrysler Red. I'll be flat coating the skin before I go at it with the oil paints for the shadows and highlights. But the horns will still be shiny when it's done.

Bluesking,
    The base was in a stained medium oak color when I decided to use it for this piece. That didn't look right so I tried using a spray paint that gives it a "cracked" look. But it didn't work well on top of the wood grain so I stripped and sanded that off. For what you see here, I rough sanded the surfaces and sprayed on a black automotive primer. When that dried, I just sprayed on this stuff and that's it. Just one coat took care of it. It comes out with the colors and texture you see in the photo. They make several colors including lighter grays, tan and green. this was the darkest I could find. I got it in a local craft store.

Thanks again guys,
    Craig

Attached Files:

8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Craig, good work, you have captured the Prince of darkness in all his evelness.
    Keep up the good work and I hope to see it at the MFCA.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  9. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig,
    this is the pic used by Geometric on thier site for the Metaluna alien bust.

[IMG]

It's one big hunk-o-alien love at 1/4 scale! I am in the proccess of pegging and mounting him to a Work block. I need to do allot of work on the viens that run all across his noggin. The sample I got had damage to the rings around his eyes (both), and the viens are so delicate, when you pick him up by his head, they have a tendancy to break off in the spots they are not secured well. They should not be too hard to fix with some putty-magic however. I'll post pics as I move forward. I hope to give him just a bit more over-the-top finish as I want to give him some "spotting" and "blotching" on the brainy part and probably gonna force a bit more color as they have in this pic, I like what they did, with a bit of purple or the like in the nooks and cranies of his head.

Jay H.
    OKC