1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Dark Eden Studio -The Pilgrim

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all on PF ,
    After seeing this post by Eddy Vanderseen on PF :

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showpost.php?p=425756&postcount=1

Not only was I like many others amazed at Eddy's painting I was also straight on to El Greco to spend this weeks shopping money (we don't eat much!!!) in the pursuit of happiness and what better way dear reader then purchasing a bust ..which is what I did ...namely

Title : The Pilgrim

Reference: DES-BU01

Scale : 60mm (top to bottom)

Material: Resin

Sculptor:Matt Grech

Box Art: Eddy Vandersteen

After using El Greco's easy to navigate round website I was delighted to be able to sign for the parcel that was sent by them (they always send recorded to customers in UK) , service was quick , ordering on the Thursday and receiving on the Saturday .

The model came packed in a strong cardboard box and on opening it found the model inside packed in a clear plastic container , put against a piece of sponge (perhaps an additional piece to further protect the piece) , also in the pack was a back card.

The model consists of a one piece casting , initially looking revealed only a tiny couple of mould lines underneath and a small plug to remove , both very easy to do .

When handling the model for the first time I was amazed at the smoothness of the casting and the finish which will allow the painter to do just that ..get on and paint this cracker .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys ,
    Moving on to the actual piece , a couple of comments really will suffice I feel:

The folds that Matt has sculpted are absolutly superb, the garment he is wearing just flows around the subject , a credit to both sculpting and casting .

Facial details are great , there is a scar above the right eye , nice touch , I love the character that has been sculpted but more than this the hair which in my opinion is some of the best I have seen in this scale and is what Matt is known for (have a look at the other El Greco range) it really is so finely done .

I guess you could say I think (like Eddy) that this is a great piece so lets have a look at the pictures to fully appreciate the work that has gone into the piece .

Continued on next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

DaveCox likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys again :

Dark Eden Studios have been started up primarily to create fantasy model which allows the modeller the freedom to use their own style and colour choice away from the rigidity of a full historical miniature ..a great idea ....however

This is IMO not only a fantasy bust bust with a little modification perhaps to the facial har could quite easily be a monk , a crusader, a leper , a Viking, the list could go on and on ..so there you have it the range is working allowing as the box insert says for me "to have fun and enjoy the hobby" .

Conclusions:

This is a lovely sculpt , beautifully sculpted , perhaps a little more packing might be an idea with perhaps a colour photograph of the finished model by Eddy (I might have got an early production one)

This is a highly recommended piece , full of chracter and amazing sculpting area's , all crying out to be painted .

There is also a Satyr in the same scale ..also well worth a look at .

Well done to all concerned

Here is a picture of the box art from the website for you to again enjoy

In the UK it can be got from El Greco of course (excellent customer service is assurred) at a cost of £18 plus shipping

Phone: +44 (0)1280 840364

Email: info@elgrecominiatures.co.uk

Home Page: http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk

Nap

Attached Files:

gordy likes this.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Very neat sculpture.:)
    Thanks Kevin!
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland