1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dante's Marble Pedestal

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Angaliel, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi all,

after seeing Luca Piergentili's acrylic marble pedestal version I found my Dante's pedestal poor only undercoated :angry:

And because I 'll presente Dante, Bodypaint and (futur release) Richelieu busts at St Vincent, I wanted to give a better look to the whole display.

So there is my marble version with oil.

I tried it very quickly, because I have lots of WIPs still and I'm on tour for the next 3 months (I'm musician).

[IMG]

And here a clother view of the pedestal.

[IMG]

Of course, Luca's marble looks lots better.

JP
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I would say yours looks just as good JP. I'll have to practice some with mine. You and Luca have set the bar as far as marble painting go's. Excellent work.
  3. Calvin Member

Hey, not bad, not so bad... :lol: ;)

Seriously, it looks good, just a little advice about veins, you might try to make them not so regular and a bit more blended.
    Compare those on the basement and the white ones on the column (very good) with the veins on the upper and the black ones.

Take a look at the picture, green lines are for very good, yellow for pointing out the possible joints and blue to point out the blending direction. I think that to paint marble one must have a more 'impressionist' (read 'psychedelic' style) which on the opposite does not help at all while painting figures. That is what happens to me... Acrilics helps a lot due to the layering technique you can use, in oils I think it could be a bit harder.

In a word, I like it :)

Attached Files:

4. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi,

thx Guy :)

Luca : you're right. I should have done the way you wrote. Bending more and better. But as I wrote I did it really quickly. But by the way I understood how to do marble. So if I get more times on the next I'll do a better one ;)

But I also realised that sometimes it's better to do something more with imagination than to try an exact copy of something.

Take a look to the marble version I tried to copy.

[IMG]

The white lines are very short. And you drawn them longer.... You're idea looks better than my "copy try" :(

JP
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jean Paul, Luca, I agree with Guy, you both have excellent representations of marble. It's got my "trigger" finger itchy for something along those lines! :lol: Keep us posted on the Richelieu bust. I look forward to seeing one painted.

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    i think its a nice work and with Luca's detailed explanations it would be perfect !
    i think i have to test it my self also !!!
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That is some nice painted marble JP.
    You did it great. And i like the overall look of Dante. It is great.

Marc
  8. Calvin Member

Ehm..., nothing more complex...? :lol: Jean Paul this is a very hard pattern, I will be a bit scared if I must reproduce it. Do not give up, my first attempts were a mess...

There are also some beautiful samples which could help you about blending practice, look at the attached picture. My preferred is the "marmo rosa", try an image search on Google and you will find a lot.

Attached Files:

9. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    Nicely done and with Luca's help i might try it my self....

after a few drinks so the vanes of the marble will fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(y)
  10. lolok Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I have been lusting after the beautiful Dante bust since it was first posted and having just returned from 4 weeks in Italy and visited his magnificent tomb which incidentally lies near that other sublime genius Michelangelo, I was more intent on getting my hands on it.
    The discussions so far seem to centre around the marble pedestal and in a moment of madness an idea came to me,prompted by a visit to a stationers!
    Remember when you where at school and made those pictures by immersing sheets of paper into ink filled dishes to produce marble like paper!!!!!
    Now there are probably 50 good reasons why it will not work with a resin piece,pattern size,sticking power,drying times,etc but maybe somebody has the time and equipment to experiment with different paints,primer undercoats and see what happens.
    I just thought I would throw it into the ring for consideration.Nothing like thinking outside the box,Yes.
    Jim.
    ( a visit to a stationers or craft shop should turn up wrapping paper or craft books which have perfect examples for you to copy.You can even reduce them on your scanner and get the exact sizes to plan your pedestal in scale.