1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dante bust finished at last!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, first of all..thanks!

As far as the shading goes, I guess it starts with something that technically shouldn't be done ("over blending"). I really like to apply the colors and move them around a lot! I like the act of physically blending the colors together on the figure. I guess I don't really over-blend as I get just the results I want, but I also don't use the classical technique of laying down the colors right next to each other, and blending just the edges. I really like the "painterly" aspect of blending and the physical act of moving the colors and blending the colors together. I split the figure into parts, as to say, I only paint part of a shirt or jacket lets say at at a time. I work my shadows, midtones and highlights in that area before I move any further with those colors. So I am concentrating on only a small part of each particular section at a time. This lets me blend until I'm satisfied in just that part. I hope that makes sense!

WOW! :eek: Sorry for the long diatribe. Thanks for looking!

Jay H.
    OKC
  2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    EXCELLENT JOB on the bust, Jay, and a REALLY INSPIRED touch adding the scratchbuilt books to the base (y) (y) !!!! WELL DONE !!!
    Kenneth :lol: .
  3. Bart Member

Belgium
    Jay,

you did a beatiful job on this bust.

Congratulations and I hope you will receive a well deserved medal at the next show.

Best wishes

Bart
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kenneth, Bart,
    many thanks for the kind words! The books were fun to do, and if the judges see fit to award it a medal...well that would just be the icing on the cake! Thanks again guys!

JAy H.
    OKC
  5. Calvin Member

Hey Jay, just placed on line your painted version here.
    Thanks!
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Just caught up with this one after my spell away, great work Jay.

Roger.
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Roger, appreciate the kind words and welcome back!

Luca, I just linked over to your site, kick-a$$! The pics look great, you did a wonderful job on them. I also much appreciate the link to my site. I am flattered you would use my work on your site! Thanks again,

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States