1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dante Alighieri - Retreat of Florentine

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bruno, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Bruno New Member

Bruno has emailed me his version of Dante at the retreat of the Florentine Cavalry:

I send you a photo of my version of Dante Alighieri, I painted some years ago. Dante took part in the Battle of Campaldino and I show him at the retreat of the florentine Cavallery, which was badly routetd by the army of Arezzo. He is fighting his way back to the Florentine lines. Finally the Florentines won the battle.

Later Dante used his experience in the battle in his famous pohem "Il Inferno"
    Best regards

Bruno

Attached Files:

2. Bill Mayo New Member

Beautiful composition Bruno, but this goes without saying. Your work has that quality about it.

Dante's work, unfortunately, is given the weight of the apostolic in some quarters. Taken in it's proper context, it is dynamic and thought provoking, revealing as it does the hell experienced by the common soldier.
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Bruno, beautiful work, I like it a lot.

Now Dante is a subject very close to my heart, I've read the Divine Comedy many times, I do recall the passage in the Inferno,

Guy, thanks for posting.

Cheers
    Roc :)
  4. Calvin Member

That is really cool, in a such attitude I was thinking when trying to give some expressiveness to the face of my own.
    It could be really nice to make a transformation, portraiting the guy in his armour.
  5. VikRod New Member

Looks great Bruno-How did you weather the helmet-looks realistic and battleworn. Vikrod
  6. YongA01 Active Member

Malaysia
    I can feel the actions ongoing..Well done.
    Allan
  7. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Compliments for the painting of the figure Bruno.Base looks also great!
    christos
  8. Bruno New Member

Hallo Christos, Calvin, Roc, Bill and Guy,

I'm happy that you like my interpretation of Dante Aligheri.

He was not only a great poet and writer but took an active part in the political and military life. As a member of the Florenz nobel society he took part in the battle of Campaldino which occours at the 11. July 1289 at the feeld of Campaldino, near the citiy of Arezzo.
    After Florenze had defeated Siena in the Battle of Colle Val d' Elsa, Florenz wanted to crush the last opponent in Tuscany, the city of Arezzo.

The Floretine Army was bigger as the army of Arezzo. A part of the allied of arezzo reached the battlefield too late, caused by bad wether or treachery is not know.

The Floretnine Knights, including Dante attac the army of Arezzo, but were heavy routed by the infatery of Arezzo. The surviving knights, including Dante fleed to the Florentine lines.
    The small army of Arezzo pursuite the fleeing knights but when thy reached the Florentine lines, the left and right wing of the Florentine army sourounded the army of Arezzo and got them in a trap. Arezzo was defeated.

Dantes life was full of adventures. Later he had to flee Florenz for political reasons.

The helmet was first covered with Humbrol Matt Black. After draining I add a mixture of Printers Ink silver, Humbrol gloss Black and a bitt of brown oil color.
    The frist layer was very dark. At the following layers I add more printers Ink. The used apperance was by adding small dots of reddish brown, green, blue or green and blend it into the base.

Many greatings from a Foootball (Soccer) crazy Germany

Bruno