1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dante Alighieri (part 1)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cicero, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Cicero New Member

Albania
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Johan, I will be looking forward to seeing your step by step on Dante, one of the greatest poets the world has ever seen.
    Maybe Luca will sculpt a bust of Beatrice next.

Cheers.
    Roc. :)
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Johan,

You made out some point, we talk about it on the club. I never loved acrylic as undercoat in my short carriere and i never know why i must do it, but they told me so.
    Maybe a new aproach for painting is in the make now.
    So keep us informed.

marc
  4. s.walks New Member

England
    Johan

ever since I started figure painting about 9 years ago I have never primed!
    I put a few thin washes of the base colour onto the area I am painting until I am happy with the result, and then I paint my main colour and shade and highlight.

I started with oils and enamels, then two years ago I converted to acrylics, and I still paint the same way, with no primer.

I actualy have this bust on my work bench at the moment and all the flesh colours were built up layer by layer in thin washes with no primer. So good luck with your experiment I hope it changes the way you paint for the better.

Cheers Steve Walks (y)
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I guess its all in what you're used to doing. In the many many years of figure painting I have always primed both resin and metal figures for all 3 mediums, oil / acrylic / enamel.

It started years ago with metal and the figures made then needed to be primed due to oxidation that would happen to the metal without the primer. Little blisters would appear on the surface of an unprimed figure. Over the transition of metal to resin the primer was still used as the paint reacted totally different without it. Hence.........is why I prime resin too.....for the paint to adhere to and behave in the same maner.
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Hi cic !
    I've recently saw the original in firenze so I can compare; Yours looks a lot better than the original.
    ;)
  7. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Don't be bashful and show us your new stuff. It's great !