Dante Alighieri - Figuralia Inspired Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Dante Alighieri
    1/9th scale resin bust
    Sculpted by Luca Piergentili

I have been anxious to start this bust since it arrived and will try to do a respectable painting of the bust following the beautiful box art version by fellow planet member Jean Paul Dana.

Here is the begginning where I have pegged the base with a small brass rod to a work base. I thought about fastening it right to the pilar base supplied but would be easier to paint the underneath with the bust off the pilar base for now.

[IMG]

The hand has also been pegged to allow easier painting of the gorgous detail sculpted into the fingers / hand.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Below you see the second coat of the flesh undercoat, Humbrol #121 which I did this morning. Thursday or Friday, after the undercoat has cured and dried I will do the flesh.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I really look forward to seeing this finished and have yet to decide what kind of wood base to attach it to. Any suggestions?
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anxiously awaiting progress Guy! ;)

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Looking forward to seeing this step by step develope.

Cheers
    Roc.
  4. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi Guy,

since I started to paint some boxarts (Figuralia, Meridiana, DesKit...) I wanted somebody to post his paint job of one of these figures.

Like everybody, I used (and still do) to paint figures with the boxart on my bench as inspiration.

But I never had the chance to see another version yet of one of my boxart.
    And there you're the first to do it. I know that Joan Kees will soon start Dante also.

So thx a lot Guy to let us see your nexts steps. I really cant wait :)

JP
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jay and Roc. I have looked forward to starting this one since I first saw Luca's sbs on sculpting it.

JP ~ It will be tough to equal your box art version............I can only try and do my best. Thanks for the comment.
  6. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Guy,

You have beaten me with this project.

Like JP stated I am about to start oils on Dante too. Actually I did already put him into the white primer ( see my work bench topic: http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10328 ) but the unusual tropical temperatures here in Flanders keep me from painting at this moment.

Anyway, I am curious how your's will develop.
    Good luck!

Johan ;)
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Johan, I appreciate your comment. We have the excessive heat here in Oklahoma as well with the outside temps soaring over 100f degrees. I am lucky to have central airconditioning in my studio which keeps the temp right at 73f degrees. Unfortunetly my shop in the garage where I do all the sanding and filing is not airconditioned......and thus too hot to work in. When I get a chance in the summer to work out there I usually clean up several figures at a time.
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I did the flesh at the same time I did the Viking from Young Miniatures. Now both get a couple of days in the show case to dry.

Attached Files:

9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I was able to progress a little further with Dante this weekend and shaded the red and began highlighting the red. Once the red dries it will get a final highlight.

Base coat red enamel

[IMG]

[IMG]

Shaded and highlighted

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

** all comments / critiques welcomed **
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy,
    reds are looking good! Keep us posted!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That red is superbe Guy,

Keep us posted.

Marc
  12. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi Guy,

yes keep continu to post your wip :)

I cant wait to see final pics ...

JP
  13. Calvin Member

Guy, nice to see that big nose man getting coloured...
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback guys.............much appreciated