1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dan Mortons RND Dio - first figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaveCox, May 20, 2006.

1. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    These are the first two figures painted for Dan's WW1 diorama. As usual they're in oils over acrylics. Any gloss is down to the lighting, as they've been sprayed with Vallejo matt varnish to seal & protect the finish.

Attached Files:

2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    And the second:

Attached Files:

3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dave - That looks great! The Marine looks particularly nice, I think! You're coming along very nicely, I'd say.

Can you improve on the photo resolution on the Marine?

And this diorama is just as much yours as mine, Dave. ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Hows this Dan - better? I posted the first pics as montages so as not to take up so much space.
    The two Naval ratings are under way at the moment. The bit that scares me - trying to paint "Royal Naval Division" on the cap tally! letters about 0.5mm high.
    Glad you like it so far.

Attached Files:

5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very much better! Although now I can't get over the size of the Marine's left hand in the photo. I know it really isn't that big - must be something to do with the lighting or photo.

"Royal Naval Divison" on the cap tally? Not in 1914. Sorry if I didn't point that out earlier, Dave. The cap tally's should indicate "R.N.V.R." in gold or something similar. There should be a "fouled anchor" device right between the N. and the V. I'll look to see if I have an example and send it along. Of course some of the chaps could also have the name of their former ship on the cap tally also.

FYI - To the best of my ability to tell, they changed over to "Royal Naval Division" on the cap tally after they came back to Britain after the Antwerp expedition failed. If someone else knows better - please correct me! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  6. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    RNVR is a darn sight shorter than the alternative, so that's what you'll get!
    Cheers Dan,
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dave - Looking at the little Belgian boy, I'm really not satisfied with the outcome. It's not your painting - it's my sculpting! I should not have sent him to you. Please ship him back to me (as is) and I'm going to try again. I probably won't use any portion of him, but might be useful as a reference. Sorry about asking you to paint him - entirely my fault, Dave.

All the best,
    Dan
  8. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Dan, I finished the oils on the two naval figures today. Just got metallics and lining/touch ups to do. They'll then get a spray of sealer so all should be on their way in a week or two (they're under heat lamp so will dry fairly fast). Can you wait and have them all back in one go?
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Sure that would be fine!

All the best,
    Dan