1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

DAK by Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by slaj, Jun 3, 2010.

1. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Ok guys here's my latest.Really nice bust to have fun with

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    NNIIIIICCCCCCE! Love the mud on the face, always pictured painting mine with the same bit of weathering. Well done my friend!

Jay H.
  3. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Stephen he looks absolutely fantastic. Except from the great face i like what you did with the uniform color. Bravo.
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    One of the greatest from Young is, surprisingly, one of the earliest. And your rendition is nothing short of majestic. But I want to pick a bone. The weather effect on the face is considerable, and admirably so. But the surrounding fabrics, superbly painted on their own, do not seem to match the face in terms of exposure to smoke.

Not that I have a very good idea of what a "smoked" DAK uniform looks like...
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic painting Stephen, the weathering is very well done.

Cheers David
  6. gylaci Active Member

Hungary
    Fantastic painting job! (y)(y)
    Stephen, its looks like a color photo.

Best regards.

Laszló
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    See, this is why this hobby is so much fun, because I disagree completely. He is in the desert, heavily uniformed, stuffed in a friggin' steel tank from the neck down and would be sweating like the dickens. Thus the dirt and debris would be sticking naturally to his face where exposed/introduced to the moisture of the sweat. It wouldn't necessarily be built up on his uni as much for lack of that moisture providing natural adhesion and because he's keeping the bulk of his form under the cover of the tank's protection. Now, after several days at campaign and no chance to stop for any sort of clean-up, yes maybe he would be soiled more "completely. But for me, this rings just right!

Jay H.
  8. Chronic New Member

United-States
    Hi Steve,

I am new to resin and I have the same figure in my stash. I would like to ask how you bend the headphone 'strap' as i don't have a better term, without breaking the part?
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Warm it with an hairdryer, or one of those electric paint stripper guns. Or if you haven't got either of those, hot water.
    Carl.
  10. Chronic New Member

United-States
    Thank you Carl.
  11. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen,
    Superbly done and great face.
    Cheers
    John
  12. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Jay,

Your explanation certainly covered an aspect that I did not consider, that the majority of the body is in the tank. Thank you!

Then how do you explain the consistent level of weathering (as in no weathering) on the cap with the rest of the "in the tank" part? Surely the cap is exposed for as long as the head was.
  13. Aterz Active Member

Italy
    sempre grandi lavori...bravo Stephen! :)

ciao
    Andrea
  14. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    I love how you've painted the dirt on his face Stephen. Great job! (y)(y)
  15. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hi Stephen,
    You make a lot of good work really impressed, very spot of his face showing the imprint of smudges from smoke. It's really much true.
    Brilliant ...

Alexandros
  16. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guys, thanks.
    What Jay and Micheal both say makes sense but I can give my views. I was thinking like Jay when applying the soot on the face. Why not so much on the cap like Micheal says? If you notice the goggles are now put up against the face of the cap. That's the area I thought would be most dirty. So as it is, any dirt is now hidden. Dirtying the sides and back seemed overdoing it a little bit. That's what I thought anyway

Steve
  17. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Beautifully done Steve, always a pleasure to view your work - if I may venture what colour mix do you use for the desert tunic ?(y)
  18. Bone Active Member

Singapore
    Actually he took a paint marker and painted his face around the goggles. He should have just used some foundation powder from Maybeline. This is of course after he changed into a new set of uniform.

BTW, that's just what my son did a few days back when he wanted to look like a superhero!

~ Basil
  19. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong

Hi Steve,

This discussion is just a trivial thing. Ultimately you have done a spetacular job and it is about to do well in many shows to come. For that I congratulate you.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Stephen,

I'd venture to say this is the best version of this bust I've seen, including the brilliant box art version one by Young himself.

The weathering adds an extra level of realism to the face.

Congrats mate.