1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dacian Warrior

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by bistray, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi all heres some pics of a recently finished bust, its a 1/10 scale Dacian Warrior, this was my first venture into acrylics as i normally use oils. A really nice well sculpted, Carl Reid, Bust

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The only thing i had to change was the Falx, the original had the sharp edge on the outside curve whereas the Falx had the sharp edge on the inside
    let me know what you think
    Paul
    jerry, Mark S, gforceman and 7 others like this.
  2. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Looks very nice (y) , but would like to see others photos with different background color
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nothing here to critisize, the face is very well done with some great shading and the patterns on the sheild and cloak are exceptional. Love the yellowing in the beard as well. The only thing I am a bit doubtful about is the tattoos, maybe a bit modern, but very well done all the same. Nice
    Ben
  4. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi guys thanks for the comments, The tattoos actually come from ancient Dacian pictures copied by a roman scolar in the 2nd century, i think from my point of view they look too new and perhaps need fading down a bit. The Sun was beleived to have great protective powers

Paul
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Good painting, nice job
    but a base on a base on a ... !!!! the first think you see is a base and a body empaled ...
    half body again.... on a pointed base.... what's wrong with legs ?
    Best
  6. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent(y) I hope mine comes out even close to this. One VERY small suggestion. A dark wash would accentuate shadows under the arms, leathers, cape and toward the waist and give the scale armour more variation. Or is the lighting washing the shadows out?

Really like the skin tones...maybe have to crack and try these acrylics;). Especially like the shield motif and plaid of the cape.
  7. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    I cannot find anything to fault here especially as it is a first with acrylics
  8. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    ER its a bust !!!
    Mark S and Tarracus like this.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Perfect paintwork all around.
    Like the tattoo. The metalwork and face are stunning.
    I also like the painted marble you put him on.

Marc
  10. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    I know, it"s a bust, but this one looks like part of a freakshow
    No contest about the quality of the painting, it's excellent
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very fine painting indeed especially as a first in acrylics bags of detail, I think the demi figure ( as I am now going to call these busts with arms and bits hanging down) :) sits well on the base.

The only thing I would criticise is the Armour it looks a bit bright , but then again it is the way I painted mine, it's to bright as well :D

Ron
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very fine painting indeed especially as a first in acrylics bags of detail, I think the demi figure ( as I am now going to call these busts with arms and bits hanging down) :) sits well on the base.

The only thing I would criticise is the Armour it looks a bit bright , but then again it is the way I painted mine, it's to bright as well :D

Ron
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Only thing I'd nit pick is the tattoos they are too "sharp" and modern looking the tap method they used back then is not capable of such delicate and well defined work, That said if you did paint them accurately it would just look like bad painting so it's a bit of a no win situation I guess :confused:

Steve
    Don and DEL like this.
  14. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is very nice. The flesh looks great was that done in oils?. I'd agree with Ron maybe a wash of a dark oil colur over the armour would give more depth. But outstanding painting just the same.
    ta for letting us see him.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks well Paul.
    Carl.(y)
  16. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Interestingly that was the first thing that caught my eye. Well done for changing that.
    What I am not sure ( and it is something I would like to throw in for discussion) - should the "working " sharp side of the weapon be pointing towards neck or away from flesh. Simple logic ( or logic of a simpleton as myself) may be that a sharp weapon that cleaves people and horses etc isnt safe to hold next to your neck. I wouldnt... What if you stumbled? Also the cutting edge would bounce on helmet and blunt it etc
    So question really is whether to turn it round - may be someone knows a bit more on the subject?

Otherwise - superb work, really liked it (y)
    Mark S likes this.
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very good point here .
    As someone who practices with edged weapons and single edged blades where your hand sometimes supports the blade on blocks and parries
    you become very aware of keeping the edge away from one's self.
    A bit like holding a fire arm and not pointing it at someone unless you wish to kill them :) honestly I'm a peaceful chap :D
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Ron....I don't think a chib counts :D
    D
    Gaudin likes this.
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    How no!!!:whistle: :ROFLMAO:
  20. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    what???
    Mark S likes this.