1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cutting Mat.

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by lightbob, Jul 12, 2021.

1. lightbob Member

Hello All,
    Looking for a bit of guidance regarding what non slip, " self healing" cutting mat to buy. Been using an old thin plastic board for years but want better stability now.
    I do not need a large board , as it will be for figures and horses, mainly 54mm to at the largest 80mm. Maybe A4 size at most.
    Can see that there is a wide range in price as well.
    UK supplier preferred.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    If you have a works shop near you they have a range of sizes and very cheap.
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I have a 9"x12" self-healing mat, brand is "Nicole" (which is still around, I think). I've had it for maybe 15 years or so, and it's still in good shape. I got it at an arts & crafts store; I don't know if "works" is UK slang for arts & crafts, but there are a lot of similar products out there. X-Acto has a range of cutting mats, for example. You shouldn't have to spend more than a couple of quid to get one like you're looking for.

Prost!
    Brad
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    "The works' is a British retail chain. They sell art materials among other things. Their paints and brushes are crap and aimed at school kids and starters...the cutting mats are good quality
    theBaron likes this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    OK, sounds like our chains Michael's and HobbyLobby. Blick Art Supplies is another. I may have gotten my mat there, where I was first kitting out my painter's toolkit-I got an unfinished pine toolbox, and my Mussini oils, at Blick's.

Prost!
    Brad
  7. lightbob Member

Hello All,
    Many thanks for the information, especially about The Works shop chain.
    Got a mat from one of their branches today. Interesting enough I couldn't find them but an assistant "dug them out" from behind some other material on a bottom self, well below eye level.
    A bargain, I hope, at £3.00.
    Once again many thanks.
    Lightbob
    theBaron, Tecumsea and 1969 like this.