1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cutting-in eye glasses/face

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by wilber, May 25, 2017.

1. wilber New Member

United-States
    Hi Folks,

I'm a very experienced model builder, but not figure painter. Two very different disciplines. I have only done one figure before, a 120 mm Verlinden Napoleonic drummer.

I am currently painting a 1/18th (about 4-1/2 inches tall) standing figure of Enzo Ferrari. This is a very nice resin figure. I'll post a photo when I figure put how to on this forum.

Mr. Ferrari always wore black sunglasses which are indeed on this figure

I'm having difficulty cutting in the black sunglasses to the flesh, and the flesh to the sunglasses.

I keep going back and forth and just when I think I've got it, I look with the magnifying glass and see a mess that I don't see with my reading glasses eyes (I'm 56 now).

I'm using Humbrol enamel flesh color, and was using Humbrol flat black for the sunglasses, but then switched to Tamiya flat black acrylic in order to have the two colors have different mediums and not affect each other

I painted the previous Verliden figure mentioned with Grumbacher fine oil paints for the flesh colors. I wanted a more durable flesh on the Ferrari figure hence my using Humbrol enamel which my have been a mistake

Thanks for any help or tips on the cutting in mentioned. I am not used to working with a magnifying glass in positioning a brush. It was a disaster. I also have some very fine artist brushes so I have that base covered.

Thanks Again
  2. wilber New Member

United-States
    Enzo Ferrari .jpg

This is the figure 1/18th scale
    Osebor likes this.
  3. wilber New Member

United-States
    That is from the box, that isn't my figure. For some reason the edit post command is not working for me
  4. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Wilber

A BiG WELCONE to PF

Are the glasses separate or cast on ...I woukd out the flesh edges by them in a shadow tone

You should be able to edit okay

Ref images here's a link from the Welcome Aboard part of forum

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/how-to-upload-images-to-pf.78445/

There is also how to send messages there as well

Looking forward to seeing this work

Nap
  5. wilber New Member

United-States
    Hi Nap, Thanks,

The glasses are cast on, creating the problem.
  6. Ferris A Fixture

At this scale you can try using masking tape. Should give a crispy edge. I like using the Tamiya tape for this.

Cheers
    Adrian
  7. fabiosem63 Active Member

...or you can use a brand new blade on your cutter (Xacto n.11 are the best to me....) and scribe the resin at the inner edge of the glasses. so you'll obtain a tiny step between flesh and sun glasses that will make the precise paint job easier!
    Osebor and sippog like this.
  8. wilber New Member

United-States
    Thanks Men,

I never thought of Tamiya masking tape (which I use extensively on models) or a sharp scribe to create a step (I use the excel #11 as they are double honed).

Both very good tips.

I'll post photos when I'm done

Thank You Again
    Scotty likes this.