1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Custom "Live Edge" bases - "Creative Foundations"

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    "Creative Foundations
    Custom "Live Edge" bases
    Manzanita Burl wood
    Sold exclusively by - The Hussar
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Base 3.jpg

I was recently lucky enough to receive 4 "Live Edge" bases from Creative Foundations Bases from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Cut from Manzanita Burl wood and turned on a lathe to give us Live Edge in the round base category in addition to the square and rectangular we usually see. The Manzanita burl has a variety of holes, channels, roots and inroads that make each base uniquely different as you will see.

Base 1

1 5/8" diameter X 1 3/16" tall
    Base 1.jpg Base 1a.jpg

Base 1b.jpg Base 1c.jpg

The Manzanita Burl base above would be ideal for a small bust or single foot 54mm figure.

Base 2

3 1/4" X 3 1/4" X 1 3/4" tall

Base 2.jpg Base 2a.jpg

Base 2b.jpg Base 2c.JPG
    The Manzanita Burl base above is the only base sent to me that wasn't turned on a lathe but clearly shows the holes, channels and roots that can be incorporated into the groundwork to really enhance certain era's of figures.

[ continued in next posting ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Base 3

2 1/4" diameter X 1 9/16" tall

Base 3.jpg Base 3a.jpg

Base 3b.jpg Base 3c.jpg

Above we see another round Manzanita Burl base large enough to accomadate a 54mm figure. The light and dark wood will give a great contrast to the finished scene.

Base 4

3" diameter X 1 13/16" tall

Base 4.jpg

Base 4a.jpg Base 4b.JPG

Base 4c.jpg Base 4d.jpg
    Above is a larger base that would accomadate a larger 75mm to 120mm, depending on the pose of the figure.

Example Figure on Base 3

Base 4e.jpg Base f.jpg

Above is an example of a large 54mm figure mounted on the top of base number 3 giving the impression that he is at the top of a cliff pointing out over the area.

Conclusion:
    An excellent base product that will enhance the finished figure. Creative Foundations are easy to work with to determine the base you need. Highly recommended.

Creative Foundations
    at
    The Hussar
    6029 South Sheridian Avenue
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

mike@thehussar.com

Telephone
    1-918-492-3559

Square / rectangular bases also available.

R492
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cool stuff Guy, thanks for posting!

Jay H.
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Those are sweet (y) They would make for interesting sci-fi and fantasy bases as well
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    These are fabulous bases.
    Alot of potential.

marc
  6. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi all. I am "Creative Foundations", producing the manzanita burl bases. I need to point out that this wood is very unique and that I am at the mercy of the wood when I cut it. This means I can not offer standard configurations. I do not have "2x3" and "3x4" in neat little rows on the shelf. I have what I can do with the wood. So...when ordering from the Hussar, please simply tell Mike what size you need and he will match that as closely as possible from the stock he has available. If you require a special order as opposed to the existing stock I can more closely provide what you need. Sorry for the inconvenience. I can do wood...business, meh.--Steve