1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Culloden Highlander

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys,

I think some of you may have seen this one before but I have had to part with it and I finally got around and took some pictures. I know many did not like the spider webs on the face but just the same I think this is one of my personal favorites. I had to go thru much to get this one ready to paint but here he is the final result.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    a few close ups

BTW he was painted in acrylics except for the flesh which was done in oils.

Attached Files:

3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another one

Attached Files:

4. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great to see him again, Joe

those closeups of the face really show the subtleties in your fleashwork.....

now where's my beardy one........ :lol:
  5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Really like this one alot, Joe!

Can you pls tell me how you painted the metals/jewel on the tartan pin?
  6. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Excellent shots Joe. This has alway been one of my favorite examples of your work.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Amazing Joe,

Please tell how you did the work on the metals above the tartan.
    I like your fleshtone's, but it is a pitty that it is in oils ;) because i am a acrylic painter.
    How about the beautifull white's.
    So Joe tell all your secrets about this beautiful painting.

Marc
  8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

Thanks. I have grown fond of this bust and it is sad to say good-bye to him. :(

Hey Rob,

I still like the way you were doing yours. Have you made any progress on it?

Keith,

I painted the broach in black acrylic and the used Mars black oil paint and mixed in some Testors chrome silver (enamel paint). Then if you look at the picture only the right side has the highest highlights. The stone was painted in acrylics. I used red the highlighted it to the top center and then covered the stone with Future Floor wax/polish.

Hey guest,

Thanks and yes they were painted in acrylics and not decals. ;)

Marc,

Thanks and I painted the whites and tartan in acrylics. I used deck tan and off-white as the base and went up and then down and for the highest was pure off-white and the deepest shadows were German Grey mixed in to the base.

PS I sent you your package today. Thanks again.

Joe
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Joe

Specially for explaining the white's. I have a figure from Romeo Models who has trousers and jacket in white. I wouldn't started because i find white so very difficult.
    Now, you have done the white in acrylics i shell start him soon. You explaned the tric's. ;)

Marc.
  10. Patrick Kirk New Member

Simply awesome my friend...well done!
    The eyes and flesh tones are spectacular... ;)
    All the best, Joe...

Patrick
  11. Brad S Member

Joe,

Fantastic work!! I love every piece of that work, especially the tartan and the eyes and the fact you did it in acrylics ( my medium of choice ). I got to see this one in person in Tulsa. It is included in my screensaver.

Brad Spelts
  12. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Joe, my friend, you did an excellent job, truly a beautiful piece.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    The pictures really dont do this piece any justice at all! Looks tons better in life! Great work Joe.
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    (y) (y) Joe !! Thanks for posting it for all to enjoy.Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  15. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Joe that is simply awesome.Great face.Very expressive.

Stephen Mallia
  16. Lepman New Member

Fantastic Joe. Have this fig. Your example will be a great incentive for me to start. If you don'tmind me asking. What colors to you for yiur flesh, they are very convincing. Great job.
  17. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Well what to say Joe ..just a piece of Art !!!!

Costas
  18. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone for the really nice comments. I have to say that this was truly a favorite of mine and I am glad to say that it also arrived in one piece! :)

Marc,

I have put on one thread of mine, the knight I think or it could be the Continental marine, all the paint mixtures that I use for white. If you can't find it I can give you a few others that I have used. I am planning on doing a Napleonic soon in all white! :eek:

Hey Brad,

This was the first tartan that I had done all in acrylics and I am glad that I finally tried it instead of the oils. It sure went much faster.

Ken,

No problem at all. My base is Mars Brown + Lemon Yellow + white + Naples Yellow Red Extra (Rembrandt) (you can use a flesh color if you don't have this one) + a dab of Cadmium Red

Highlight - Naples Yellow (Rembrandt) + white
    extra highlights keeping adding white until the highest are just pure white

Shadows - Mars Brown for Mediums

Burnt Umber + Venetian Red (make a brownish purple) for deep shadows

Burnt Umber for deeper

Purple Madder for the deepest shadow

above the eyes Mars Violet

All the colors are from W/N unless stated. My base coat is acrylic Liquidtex Deep Portrait Pink. I then cook it in the crock pot until it is dry. One last thing that I do and it is the truth, is that I only paint the face in 30 minutes. I do this not to rush but I am the Worlds Worse for over doing it! :lol: I find that by putting a timer on myself I do not have the time to keep tinkering with the flesh and this has, I hope, helped me to paint a little better.

Joe
  19. johnbrewer New Member

Deeply cool piece of work. flesh tones are jusr superb and the kilt pin looks like it is real, superb
  20. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John,

Thanks for the very kind words. I look forward t seeing your bust develop. ;)

Joe