1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cuirassier Trumpeter 1815

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by smudger1960, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Huw63 A Fixture

Hi Ian

Thank for the information and the suggestion.

The book sounds very interesting indeed - would you mind sharing its name and author unless you're using it for commercial purposes of course.

Cheers and thanks

Huw
    smudger1960 likes this.
  2. Huw63 A Fixture

An interesting couple of thoughts Martin. 1914 isn't my area of expertise at all though I was aware of cuirassiers serving then but that might be an interesting addition to the collection.

I suspect for the rank and file it was one size fits all the same as shoes of the era being made for left and right foot. This of course changes if your were a wealthy or heavily indebted officer.

Cheers

Huw
    smudger1960 likes this.
  3. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that , in any given period, one shouldn't think "always occurred" or "never occurred" when it comes to military matters historical. There will usually be anomalies somewhere, especially with Napoleonic armies. And there will often be useful illustrations to back them up. Just with my own little obsession, the Chasseurs a Pied of the Garde, I've found that there were three types of gaiters,of different materials, worn during the Hundred Days. Probably, all types eventually got filthy, so hard to differentiate between one chap and another!
    Research can be fun, if occasionally frustrating:rolleyes:

Alan
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

A wise and true comment Alan.

Cheers

Huw
    smudger1960 likes this.
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    image.jpg image.jpg

I was sent these 2 pictures from the 1808 period.
  6. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    An interesting and very colourful project for someone.............;)
    Huw63 and smudger1960 like this.
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Yes Al,I will be doing one of these,but it will be from the 8th regiment of cuirassiers 1815
  8. Huw63 A Fixture

This sounds interesting- Looking forward to seeing this one develop when the time comes.

Cheers

Huw
  9. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice illustrations Roger - any idea what the book is?
    Cheers
    Mat
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Interesting subject. I don't see it being so far fetched to suppose that a trumpeter might opt to wear a cuirass during a battle. The fancy coat may look fetching on the parade ground but wouldn't offer much in the way of protection. Seeing as they are a vital piece of the communication system, I would assume that losing them first during the charge may cause an issue. Seeing as troopers and officers, including general officers, wore the cuirass in the field, I'm willing to take a leap of faith that the trumpeters would wear them as well. Seeing as there is documented evidence that they were occasionally worn, it ay least says it's not impossible.

If I were a Cuirassier trumpeter at Waterloo, cresting the ridge to charge the Allied squares, I'd wear a cuirass!!!! Hell, I'd wear two!!!!

This is, of course, straight supposition and a completely uneducated guess.

Colin

PS... oh yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have in mind :D
    Huw63 likes this.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Sorry Mat I don't know. I found the pic on the web, someone here surely knows though.
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

I'm not certain and bing in work I can't check but I think the picture with two trumpeters might be out of Bucquoy vol 3 Les cuirassiers. The one with a single figure comes from a Rousselot plate I think.

Cheers

Huw
    Mat Lambert and billyturnip like this.
  13. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Sadly, the cuirass wasn't much protection against shot and shell,as so many eyewitness accounts tell us. Effective enough against sword/sabre cuts,and must have afforded the wearer a certain amount of extra confidence. Big chaps, too,reputedly; and on big heavy horses. Methinks I'd rather have been with them than against them!:nailbiting:
    Note to self;- must include a couple in next Waterloo diorama project. Here we go again!;)
    Avant les sabres! Chargent!

Alan
    Huw63 likes this.
  14. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Huw, but the image I was trying to identify was the one posted by billyturnip early on in the thread with many seated/mounted variations across two pages. Have you any thoughts on these?
    The other illustrations I didn't know either so I'm glad you could ID those too.
    Cheers
    Mat
    Huw63 likes this.
  15. Huw63 A Fixture

Mat the one posted earlier is Rousselot plate no. 102 Cuirassier Trumpeters II 1804-1812.

Of the others The pic with the two trumpeters the man on the left is by Rousselot (copied from the plate above) and the one on the right is Knotel. The picture of the trumpeter in a saddle is Rousselot too I think.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Huw
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  16. Huw63 A Fixture

It's the weekend so I've had a chancee for a little more research. The figure in the saddle is by an artist called Henir Boisselier 1881 - 1959 who researched his paintings by reading memoris, visiting archives and studying period iconigraphy. All the picture aew based on the "Manuscrit de Marckolsheim" and I got the information from "Les Trompettes de Cavalerie sous l'Empire" by Vincent Bourgeot and Yves Martin which indicates that only the 6th and 7th Cuirassiers ever had trumpeters in cuirasses. There is an engraving which suggests when established the 10th trumpeters wore one but there is only this one engraving and no other sources,

Roger Forthoffer has done some research and reproduction of the manuscript and you can buy this in the format in the picture below for around 900 Euros.

Roger Forthoffer Trumpeter 6th Cuirassiers.JPG

Hope this helps.

Regards

Huw
    napoleonpeart and ChaosCossack like this.
  17. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    rules in 1815 for trumpeters asked the livree imperiale, not a reverse color facing as for the previous years.

they wasn't charged to wear the cuirass but can happened that some trumpeter get te cuirass as extra protection for himself. there are many documents that show this variant

in any case in 1815 only the livree imperiale shown here at the bottom of the page 091a CORT1 linea.JPG
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Huw63 A Fixture

Good point Ivo but one should be careful here. This is the other Rousselot plate concerning Cuirassier Trumpeters (no 91) and indeed the imperial livery was introduced in the 1812 regulations, probably coming to be commonly used in 1813 when the losses of 1812 were being made good. It would have been used in 1815 in some cases but there are other recorded instances such as the 1st Cuirassiers (Cuirassier du Roi under the restoration) who wore their new tunics with the bourbon lace and symbols removed during the 1815 campaign. Given the speed with which Napoleon returned to France, seized power and undertook the campaign it is highly likely that the 1st Cuirassiers were not the only regiment whose trumpeters (or drummer or fifers) didn't wear imperial livery.

Cheers

Huw
    OldTaff and ChaosCossack like this.
  19. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    you are right Huw but for sure in 1815 the trumpeter didn't worn they old tunics.

in some case the Bourbon lace can be used but I think that many rgt still had theyr old green laced tunic
    Huw63 and ChaosCossack like this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Fantastic information from all... Stuff like this is what makes this forum so valuable.
    Thanx for the great input!

Colin
    napoleonpeart and Huw63 like this.