1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Cuirassier continued

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx very much guys. The last 4 pics show the finished cuirass. Once the Natural Steel basecoat is on, it's ink wash-more steel-ink wash-silver highlight-thin ink wask-silver drybrush-final highlight with Sargent acrylic metallic... much thinner, more "liquid" than Vallejo. The steel cap and brass crest of the helmet was done the same way.
    Polished, unplated steel doesn't maintain a chrome-like finish without constant polishing. It will darken around the rivets, seams and rolled edges. It would only take a touch of moisture and a little neglect for serface rust to start to appear. This officer has kept his cuirass fairly well maintained.

Going to put a good push on today... as I see the light at the end of this one

Colin
    crf and Wings5797 like this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Ok... Let's call the cuirassier 95% complete. All the little finnickety stuff left... spurs, scabbard, pocket buttons, cuirass strap buckle, stirrups and reins. Then stitch it all together, horse and rider and make any touch ups needed. If the base was done it might be ready for OMSS show on Saturday, but... without really rushing it, I don't see it happening :(
    IMGP0504.jpg IMGP0503.jpg IMGP0502.jpg IMGP0501.jpg IMGP0500.jpg
    Hope to have the figure done tomorrow, base done over the weekend.
    Cheers

Colin
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    He's looking really good Colin.
    Looking forward to seeing what it all looks like after the week end.
    Fine work Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Probably the best you have done to date colin. He really looks the business. Reminds me of that exchange between Lord Hay and General Picton in the film Waterloo where Jack Hawkins tells Hay that if he comes toe to toe with a cuties skier he will be luckyg to leave with his life as opposed to a uniform souvenir. Bring him along in the car tomorrow and Zeno and I can have a look. I will bring Cleburne and Papineau with the historex toy chest. neither of my latest 2 busts are based yet.

Cheers

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    A fine piece of work, Colin. (Thinks. Must get cracking with mine. Shame it’s Verlinden.)

Jeff
  6. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    hi Colin,

great job, I like it.:)

only a small things... the sword sling has to be silver and not gold. ;)
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    The sword knot?
    I wasn't sure, the box art showed silver but Rouselotte showed all officer knots as gold... I went with the reference book but I can't guarantee that it's right, I just always defer to that book when there is a conflict.
    What do you use as a reference? I'd like to expand my library.

Colin
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Keith and Jeff for the kind words.
    Colin, that's big praise from you... I blush :oops:. I'll bring him along but the rider and horse won't be fixed. I'm still picking at the small pieces and will assemble all that rot together in one shot.
    See you and Zeno tomorrow. BTW, Joe will have a table there at the show.

Colin
    crf likes this.
  9. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    yes I intended the sword knot, any documents show it in silver because silver is the colour for the cuirassier distintion. I saw Rousselot and I think he did a mostake in this case.
    I usually check more than a single documents and i Always found silver:)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I hope he brings bases :)

Colin
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Looks great my friend! , I am sure you will finish the fig and go over little touch ups , I do that all the time!.
    But looks great to me.
    best regards
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Braemp Active Member

Looks really nice, Well done!
    Best regards Lars
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Ivo, Thanx for the information. Can you name some of your reference material so I might check them for future French Napoleonic figures? Thanks.
    Daniel and Lars, Thanx for the kind words and support. After putting together all the subassemblies, there are always little scratches, smudges and glue that need to be touched up. At final assembly I always manage to bugger up some part of my paint... it does afford the opportunity to practice my screaming profanities and obsenities and stomping my feet:mad::wtf::yuck: . it's why I try to keep some of my mixes for the end of the project;)

Thanx again

Colin
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Saw this in person in Toronto today. It looks great Colin.

Colin
    tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx much my brother :notworthy:
    crf likes this.
  16. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    the work progress very fine,waith the horse
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    looking really good.

Marc
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    can't wait to see more pics, your metal works is always great Colin, I am sure once you place the figure on horseback you will be very pleased with the looks.
    :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Gotta juggle painting and watching football today to get this guy done.

Thanx for the push guys

Colin
  20. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Good looking fella this one ;) all has become real nice together.
    Let's have a look of him on his mount ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.