1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique cuirassier bust (Bonaparte Miniatures)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Sep 14, 2014.

1. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hello Guys,

I have some serious problems. I'm almost finished this incredible bust, but I cannot make my mind. Shall I weather it or not. How much, how less. Snow or mud. Blood or no blood.
    It's only that why i cannot call him finished.
    Hope you all can help me out for this serious matter :eek:
    And as always the picture don't do justice. IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1070.JPG

Marc
    stu, jerry and Michaelminiatures like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice job Marc.

I would say that a subtle bit of dust wouldn't hurt, but I would avoid blood. I am not a fan of blood on miniatures. Not for reasons of squeamishness, but simply because IMHO the effect very seldom (if ever) works very well. It's not easy to pull off convincingly - even when done by 'masters' in the hobby. 9 times out of 10 it is way overdone, detracts from an otherwise excellent paint job or just somehow looks wrong.

- Steve
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice work Marc although I would tend to go much darker on the blue habit.

Colin
    Osvald likes this.
  4. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    The blue is dark. But as I mentioned allready: my pictures aren't not good.

Marc
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Probably the flash :)

Colin
  6. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    No, no flash, no artificial light. Just light trough the roofwindow behind me.

Marc
  7. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    new pictures: Took about 54 pictures and these are far the best.
    IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1084.JPG
    gforceman, crf and swralph like this.
  8. swralph A Fixture

Personally Marc I would just leave it alone.But if you want to weather it I would go with Steve.
    Cheers.
    Ralph.
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marc, very nicely painted indeed! (y) However, I am slightly confused as to the colours! I also have this bust, and know that he is wearing a, Grey 'Greatcoat'. . So I am a little confused about the 'Blue arms'. However this is just an observation. As I said some good work has gone into this. ;)

Great-Coat-Napoleonic.jpg . cuirassier-1812-bust-160-p.jpg

Regards,

Mark
  10. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Mark,
    I whas indeed confusiod about the cape. The picture on the right is the first painted one I saw from this bust, and it is from the 10th cuirassiers. (yellow teeth on the sheapskin).
    But on the Osprey nr 64 on page 17 you see a cape without sleeves. On page 30 is a drawing of a two capes. Before 1813 a long , sack-like cloak as issued for use in bad weather. The 1812 regulations altered this gartment to include sleeves, thereby making it more of a greatcoat than a cape. Unlike that carried by dragoons, the post - 1812 cuirassier cape was seemingly without buttons on the body or shoulder with which it might be secured closed. And on this cape there are no buttons suclpt. As this bust depicts a cuirassier retreating from russia, the cape shoud be before 1812.
    And by studing the sculpt I whas more and more convinced that this should be a cape instead of a greatcoat. If you look at your figure you will see that the right arm is coming from under the cape, so the blue is the right color in my opinon. The greycape whas sewed at the inside with a 10 cm red color.

Marc
  11. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :D! Well we learn something new everyday! .. They had 'Body-Warmers', in Napoleonic times! :LOL: Now this all makes sense!

Mark
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc....nice work mate.....as you may remember....I asked a similar question regarding weathering when I did mine.......and ended up adding some snow effects...

Like Mark....I was convinced it was the 'Great' coat....and painted it as that.....I was more influenced by paintings of the retreat....where coats are prevalent......

To me personally.....it adds to the feeling of 'cold'.......but appreciate your enlightened view point...

Regards

Ron
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Marc I think you've done a great job on this piece,IMO perhaps some light frosting of snow would look good,after all it is a Russian winter subject,either way you go mate it's still a great job,congratulations on it.
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It does look like a coat he has on which you could argue he scavenged at some point in the retreat .
    Non the less a good paint job on this Marc(y) sympathies with the camera blowing the colours and shading to hell :)

Ron