1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Crusades

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by brian, Jul 17, 2019.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I've had this little metal cross for about 30 years + and i was told that it was a small cross given to anyone who went on crusade.That's all i know about it and was hoping that anyone of you guys have any further info on it.?It's about the size of a 5p piece,bronze coloured with green tinging.
    Brian
    DEL and Oda like this.
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Brian, post a picture. The size is about right but the majority of crusader tokens were round with the cross in relief.
    The actual shape could be relevant and could identify an order particularly if it is indeed cast bronze.
    Not having seen it my gut reaction is that it could be a medieval / post medieval pilgrim badge (token)
    Rather than bronze these were more often stamped or cast from copper alloy or lead..
    Cheers
    Derek
    Oda, Helm and Nap like this.
  3. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    The first picture is blown up to see the detail, and it's about half the size of the second picture.

DSC08063-001.JPG DSC08063-004.JPG
    Babelfish and DEL like this.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    That looks very authentic Brian, so I think your information is pretty sound.
    If, as is likely, it's associated with the city state of Jerusalem it's in the region of late 13th century.
    Could be as early as 11th century, certainly looks like cast bronze.
    Fairly simple in design so could well be a token 'blessed' and given to or more likely bought by a crusader or pilgrim.
  5. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Sry Del, but the "Jerusalem cross" looked quite different...:

[IMG]
    The searched symbol is a co called "Wiederkreuz", a variant of an old German cross...:

[IMG]

English name: "Cross Crosslet"

[IMG]

It is a very old motif that can be found in pre-Christian times. In a Christian context, it is a symbol of the five wounds of Christ.

The four cross arms of the cross again form four Latin crosses, which are combined with the long part of their longitudinal beam. Usually it is shown symmetrically, that is, all longitudinal and transverse bars have the same width and are approximately the same length.

This cross variant was common in German and French knight coats of arms in the Middle Ages!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hope that helps!

Cheers
    Mirofsoft, Babelfish and DEL like this.
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Yeah Martin's dead right regarding the City State of Jerusalem Cross. I'd completely forgotten about the 4 Greek crosses.
    Andrews post pretty much nails it, the image although lacking the 4 Greek crosses is attributed to the knights of the holy sepulchre.
    Perhaps the complexity of casting might have been a factor in leaving them out or it might pre-date 1280 when I think the cross was adopted by Jerusalem.
    Either way it's a cracker (y)
    Babelfish likes this.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice little piece of history you've got there Brian.

- Steve
    DEL likes this.
  9. fogie Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely !! Wonderful little piece !!

Mike
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice piece of history there Brian, bit late to the party, so not much to add other than it may also be a decorative bit of horse tack or sword belt etc. is there anything on the back which might show fittings etc
    Steve
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Only some text Steve ....... Tritum Cibum Rex :D
    OldTaff and fogie like this.
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    :LOL:
    DEL likes this.
  13. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    :LOL: Love it! "The King of minced meat ":ROFLMAO:
    DEL likes this.
  14. DEL A Fixture

Scotland

Anticipating a visit from Burger Kings IP legal team.;)
    Helm likes this.