1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Crusaders and muslims

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Roc, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Arab Cavalry Command.
    Perry miniatures.
    28mm. metal figures
    Painted by Jim Bowen.
    sculpter unknown.

[IMG]

Mounted Commanders (Bohemond, Godfrey of Bouillon and Raymond of Toulouse)
    Perry miniatures
    28mm. metal figures.
    Painted by Jim Bowen.
    Sculpter unknown

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Perry miniatures

Cheers

Roc.
  2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Roc.

As this is Perry Miniatures, I would hazzard a guess it's either Alan or Michael Perry who sculpted them; know of no others who sculpt for them.

Their site is well worth checking out; they have a good in progress page, and a link to some 54mm WW1 ANZACS they made for Peter Jackson (I think there's a video of them teaching Peter Jackson to sculpt!)
    Also have a 40mm Peninsular War range and a 40mm Border Reivers range.

They are incredibly prolific (seeings they sculpt for Games Workshop and one of them has just painted some illustrations for a forthcoming Osprey Book, and sculpt for foundry; and of course re-enact in thier spare time).

What really gets me is one of them lost their hand in a reenactment accident (artillery) and has re-taught himself to sculpt with his other hand :eek: - which has it's benefits because he then played a casualty in Band of Brothers!!!

If folks haven't seen it yet, some of the Perry minis (including the 40mm peninsular stuff) can be seen on Joe Videki's excellent site
    Joe Videki
  3. amherbert Member

Man, that site is a treat!

There are some lovely figures there. Am I correct in guessing one gets several figures for a few quid? That's pretty cool.

And this is what's done on the side! There isn't enough sculpting in the day job, I guess.

The Normans are pretty cool looking.

Andy
  4. JVideki Member

With 13,000 sculpts under their belts (since the mid 70's), the Perry figures have realistic proportions, historically accurate (they've illustrated 8 Ospreys), with character in their pea-sized faces. I don't own them all, but I do have alot. Samurai, AWI, Brunswickers, Dutch Belgians, ECW, Crusaders/Muslims, Henry V. The 40mm Naps are all really quite crisp, whereas the few 40mm Border Reivers I've held are "soft" in the details. Once and awhile I may have to resort to dremelling out some thick edges/casting/reins to get the effect I'm after.

There are some dynamic figures being sculpted that are smaller than 54mm.
    Nowadays hordes' of kids call 'em "minis" and they span almost any/every subject imaginable.

Have FUN and ENJOY whatever it is that you paint/sculpt.

thks
    joe

ps anxiously awaiting Bill's new book!