1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Crusader knight 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Here is my latest finished figure. It is my first semi changing of a figure, I ground off the sculpted on cross from his tunic and sheild so I could make him a noble knight with heraldry. I wanted him to appear as though he is in the desert conquering the holy land so I worked hard on a dusty appearance to his clothing and ground work. As always please post any and all comments positive or negative, they all help to improve my painting. Thanks for checking him out.

nob1.JPG nob2.JPG

nob3.JPG
    michelangelo, abbo, pmfs and 10 others like this.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks great Mike. Its hard to see a lot of the detail though with the photo being so dark.
  3. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looks great Mike, well done. Makes me feel thirsty just looking at him, you pulled off the dusty desert look nicely.

Andrew
  4. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Mike i lke it alot. The whole dusty thing really worked pretty well. The tunic could use some more blending but we all know how difficult and troublesome white can be (still gives me headache!!!). Beautifull overall result. Congrats.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I lightened it up in photoshop and you really did a fantastic job with the weathering and desert effect. Was this the Romeo Knight?
  6. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks fellas! yeah Guy this is the Romeo kit that I have wanted ever since I saw yours. My home computer always looks brighter than my work computer so these photo's are probably too dark, I'll get some new ones up tomorrow. Thanks Andrew that's what I wanted, hot and thirsty.Dimitrios, now I know the photo's are dark because his tunic is light yellow which was a nightmare, even worse for me than white.

edit: I just put up new lighter pictures.
  7. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Great work Mike! I like this kit!
  8. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice work. I especially like your design work with the shield and his clothing. That's something I'm still struggling with.

What is he mounted on? I like the overall effect it gives.
  9. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jason, it is a fun kit. David he is mounted on a turned walnut base I bought online from brandy. The Hussar In Tulsa has another brand coming in but I couldn't wait for the 90mm bases to come in for this guy. I have a couple of the hussars bases for 54 and 75mm figures and they are really nice. I am now hooked on turned bases, they look so much more finished to me. Thanks for liking the heraldry I really like painting it. A trick I use is to draw it on paper a few times first to get the scale right then it is easier to visualize it on the figure.

Thanks again!
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mike,

Excellent painting mate. He looks hot dry and thirsty. I think the changes you've made reaslly add a point of difference. The rampant lions must have been a challenge.
  11. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice Mike. The painting has a good feel to it. I wish the pics were a little better. Did you paint in Acrylics or Oils?
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent paintwork.

marc
  13. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You can sure paint heraldry Mike, a great job overall.
    Carl.
  14. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks nice Mike from what I can see on the photos, would be nice to see some hi-res pics of this beautiful figure (y)

Cheers
    Tommi
  15. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great painting mike, you got run going on knight at the mo. the heraldry is very nice, great base also

Stu
  16. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Very nicely done Mike, improving all the time, yes the rampant lion must be a challenge to paint.:)
  17. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful! (y)
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love what you have done with this figure Mike, really captured a dry barren look the figure and groundwork, the reds of the heraldry, which by the way are done very nicely, really work well with the yellow tunic.
    For me your best so far and its nice to follow your progress with figure painting.

Steve(y)
  19. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Mike.
    Excellent and gorgeous work!!!!
    I liked the color of the surcoat very much.
    Drawing of a crest is wonderful.
    I like this figure very much.
    But I have not bought it yet.
    However I buy it eventually, and, I, in painting, TRY, would, when, I'm thinking.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  20. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Hello Mike,

very nice painting, the heraldry is outstanding!!!

Greeting

Karsten