1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Crusader Busts?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Ive got an itch, that needs to be scratched. I am really tempted to have a go at a 'Bust', for a change of pace! and develop my face painting skills! I am really tempted by the 'Andrea', post battle, bust! or the 'Young's crusader! Bust. or there any others that rival these two examples?:) Or, has anyone already had ago at either of them?

Mark.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I've done this from Pegaso, and it's really nice.
    I struggled with After the battle.
    Not done the Young, but you can't go wrong with any of theirs.
    Carl.(y)

Attached Files:

3. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Carl. Hmm! now this is nice!!!.. Just waded through the open box/reviews. Found the Andrea kit on page 34. Some issues as you say.. But this one here is very nice(y).. was the head gear and Helm a separate cast??

However its probably out of production!

Mark.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Mark as you will be aware the Andrea 'After the Battle' holy orders sergeant has come in for a lot of criticism. I completed this without any problems and saw Ron Tamburrinis today at the Glasgow Show, like mine Ron had no problems....might be a casting issue for a specific run.
    Good point is that it gives you loads of different textures to work with, and you can go holy order or secular.
    Cheers
    Derek
  5. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Derek, I have to admit, I cant get this 'Bust', out of my head!.. However, now I have seen the 'Pegaso', bust... I am falling into the, 'Picky' trap. The Andrea piece has two concerns! The folds in the L-hand side of the neck! and the Lack of stitching on the Cross! Probably more so the neck! Saying that! the Pegaso, has a much more minimised facial so is less expressionate, due to the helmet. I'm feeling a... 'sod-it', get both! moment coming on:whistle:

Mark
  6. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Carl, Is it possible for you to give a quick breakdown! open box-stylee!... About the parts? of the 'Pegaso', bust. Which bits are lose, and which are part of the main cast etc.(y)

Mark
  7. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Mark
    The Andrea bust was the first one I ever painted, I had no probs with the casting either but I did ask Steve at SK Miniatures to check it for me first. I think it has a lot more character and emotion to it than the Pegaso bust. Whatever you choose I'm looking forward to see you paint it

Andrew.
    Tubby-Nuts' likes this.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The face, nose guard, neck cord shield and the extension of the chin strap are all separate, and in white metal.
    The rest is resin.
    There's more images here.
    Carl.(y)
    Tubby-Nuts' likes this.
  9. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Andrew, I was thinking of contacting Steve, and taking the plunge!.. However, dont hold your breath! with my painting skills, I could run an, SBS, alongside Ron's, (Kagemusha) Gaul Chiefton,.... But mine would be entitled 'How to f*ck-up a perfectly good bust'. Or the mistakes from an 'Idiot'. :LOL:...... Lets see! as said I have never done a bust of any sorts before!... I have a feeling they are less forgiving. But it will be a learning curve.:eek::eek:&:eek:

Regards,

Mark
  10. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Carl,.... Brilliant! pretty much what I really wanted to know, as this would affect my intitial approach!... After about 3-days staring at it thinking- o_O
    & :nailbiting: ......Many thanks.

Mark
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Scans are inbound Mark.
    Carl.(y)
    Tubby-Nuts' likes this.
  12. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Carl! I have them!... Absolutley brilliant! I can't thank you enough!......., this article was also submitted, by Adrian Hopwood! ... (y)&:happy:! .......... Oh, (nuts), now thinking again! ... It is going to have to be both of them!..........., But now the wife!:dead:

Mark
  13. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Both are complimentary the Pegaso being a knight. The only thing that stopped me getting it was the hood, if it had been pulled down around the nape of the neck I would have much preferred it.
  14. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Del, ...... Its the hood over the helm, aspect that caught my eye and quite liked!... Being, in the then 'Holy-Land', the hood, or head scarf, would have been almost the norm!... Maybe I am a latent 'Hoodie'.:LOL:

Mark
    DEL likes this.
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Glad to have been able to help Mark.
    If you need anything else give me a shout?
    Carl.(y)
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Mark just as easy to 'sculpt' stitching. Drill holes around the cross where the needle would stitch. Roll out your favourite modelling putty to form a thin thread lay it along the line of holes and press in with a cocktail stick, don't obscure the holes completely. Dampen a small brush and 'paint' along each side of the thread to seal it.
    Bobs your aunties husband.
    Derek
  18. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Hi, Derek.... I thought about doing this, however, with my disability, ( Lost 90% of peripheral sensation/feeling) in hands, feet, and legs!... there is the distinct possibility of 'Slipping'. It's something I have adapted to, however, ... I suppose with the use of a vice! both hands on the dremmel, it might be achievable. But to fluff the figure, before its even primed! might be hard to bare. (This is why it takes me an age, to complete a project) Therefore, I have to be really choosey, about what figures I buy, 90mm being the smallest that I can handle, and most of those have been stripped and re-started, about 5-6 times. Saying that! I do have little knowledge of stitching methods! ie, Running stitch, Cross-stitch, Tack-Stitch, etc!.. which will be of some use ..(Your suggestion is a 'Running-Stitch).. Now if this was already present on the 'Andrea', Bust!.. it would be a sure buy. :)

Mark
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Mark, makes a lot of sense. Having 10% sensation must be incredibly challenging so good on you mate keep it up.
    There's plenty of us here who have lost 90% sensation between our ears ;)
    Cheers
    Derek
  20. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    @ Helm, Thanks Steve! I see, you have 'Sanded-out the cross altogether! this gives me another avenue to ponder on!... I do like the 'Waxed-Tunic', as weather-proof.... (y)

Mark