1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Crusader British Knight Sir Roger de Trumpington 1289

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gregmix, Dec 15, 2013.

1. gregmix New Member

United-States
    I just acquired this 100mm figure of Sir Roger de Trumpington. It’s from Robert Baxter Miniatures and was cast by Armand Bayardi. I do not know anything about Robert Baxter Miniatures. I believe the kit is from United Empire Miniatures. I’m looking for any information on this knights colors and markings. I found the church online where his tomb is located in England. The tomb has a brass carving of him in full armor. The church also has a portrait of him with a blue surcoat and yellow trumpets. Andrea has a kit of him and they show him with a yellow surcoat and shield with blue trumpets. This kits instructions show him with a yellow surcoat but with a blue sheild. I’m not sure which is correct unless he wore the blue suit on Sundays and yellow one for the rest of the week. If anyone has any information on this guy please let me know.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG][IMG]

Sir Roger was a knight involved in the crusades of 1270 alongside Prince Edward. After a very difficult journey the knights reached Palestine where they relieved Acre from a besieging army.
    Once back in England, we have records of Sir Roger taking part in a tournament in Windsor in 1278. He passed away in 1289.
  2. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I think these kits were ultimately acquired by Fort Duquesne and are probably now out of production. I think this one was sculpted by Derek Holmes.

Geoff
  3. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    In Christopher Rothero's book "Medieval Military Dress" shows Trumpington wearing a lt. gray or off white surcoat. I think that since his surcoat doesn't display his coat of arms it could be realistically any color that would blend well with his coat of arms so blue or yellow could also be acceptable. The shield should be Blue with the trumpets and crusily (crosses) in yellow. The aillettes (the squares on his shoulders) should be the same as the shield. Belts, scabbard etc. should be blue leather with gold buckles. Hope this helps.

Chuck
  4. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Got this kit in grey army, it's beautifully cast with no clean up required, all the joins are hidden fits and the detail is second to none. I would say the Baxter kit is fairly rare now.
  5. Knill22 Member

United-States
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  6. Augie Active Member

United-States
    I've always had a problem with the way Trumpington's arms have been depicted (including the brass!) as they do not reflect the accepted blazon crusily. Crusily is nothing more than a semé of cross crosslets arranged diagonally. Hence, I thought I would provide my interpretation of Trumpington's arms:

[IMG]

Hope it is of some use.

Augie