1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Croatian Soldier 915 A.D.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by pokrad, Feb 19, 2011.

1. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice progress Darko! (y)
  2. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Here are B/W pics to make "color confusion" less disturbing.
    Among other errors I see (and can not fix) one is poking my eyes, and I must fix it:
    Neck is too thin looking from the front.
    It is time to bring this to the end-isn't it ? ;)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  3. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    so fra all looks fine well the neck can be thickened an little bit.the odd thing is the hand holding the helmet.
    you might overthink that look. it looks simply not natural and casual.maybe the look in mirror holding an pot before you might work it out.easy spoken i know but hard to do.this is the only factor which would harm my eye.and the position of helmet i ould alter taht so that the helmet sits with the open side down to the girtle and the hand supports it.normlay one would hold an helmet with an nasal that way.otherwise the iron nasal poke in your upper body when you holding
    so not mind this words.iam always an chap which writes what he thinks.even if this brings you not always roses.
    the rest fine the hand holding the helmet.................i would alter.but neverless evenm if you would olet it that way i would take an casting of it should you provide one
    cheers
    cheers
  4. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    9i think if the helmet woulöd be sitting upright on the body and you would simply turn the hand it might look much more natural
  5. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    It bothers me also, just cuting and adjusting the key in the shoulder to get more natural look. Damn, I did'nt think it will be so much trouble with this.
    When I get the arm to look natural, helmet doesn't fit.
    I guess I'll have to find some "method" for things like this in the future, perhaps weak armature so I can bend and adjust and in no case bake it before fine adjustment...

I apreciate heads up and crits, so do not hesitate to tell what you think ;)
  6. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    i can think its frustrating to alter an done figure.what could you do and possibiliy would be make some cut at the arms in the joins burr them and insert some wires then you could bend the armatures until the helmet sits natural and the arm might hold it.after this is done you could flesh out the armature again.this should be an reasonable task and not destroy to much details
    it seems that there is nothing more important that doing the armature first before one adds the fine tuning.
    otherwise you must cut already finished stuff again.

cheers
  7. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    i think if you would put the shoulder arm joint more to the backside you would win some more room to get the helmet more relaxed in position.and if you make an wegde in the joint and bring the shoulder more up it might again help to win some room
    maybe the worts thing is to put the arm in the spare box insert an wire. plug on the hand articulate the wire until it fit well to the helmet and flesh the arm out.
    maybe this would work out faster
    and then you can use the arm on an later project.never waste anything is my devicce.so i save any bit for the sparebox.
    cheers
  8. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    darko, i would say you`re doing quite well with the sculpting!
  9. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Thx guys, I really needed some "cheering up" ;)
    Just got some aluminum armature wire from art shop, and it behaves much better than the iron wire I was using.
    I think I managed to put the armature in the right position this time, and will redo whole right arm. This armature will certainly allow me to do fine final adjustments when the sculpting is finished.
    Some pics soon ;)
  10. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Completely redid the right arm and changed position of the helmet:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Also widened the neck and completely redid the hair for "head helmeted" version.
    Hand for that version not finished yet:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Left shoulder is still off (among other things ;) ), and it bothers me...
  11. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    yes that looks very nice and now relaxt.i think it was worth the effort.now it looks very fine.
    it was surely an long way but you have created an nice miniature.it was an very nice thing to see it grow
    respects
  12. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    only one thing
    maybe it would be an idea to make the torso longer down to the girtle waist line.so it would looking leaner and not so cut off.this in regards to the full hands.
    for the helmeted version you could turn the hand and give it an lance.then it would be doing something
    cheers
  13. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Agree on that, but not sure if I can do it right now. I think it's to late.
    Have few problems with the shoulders/other because bust was not planed to have hands and I added it later in the process. Think that the waist "extension" might create new problems (extension of the cape on the back, waist belt, etc...).
    For instance cape is giving me hell with sculpting shoulders and creating joints, and if I planed carefully, cape should be the last thing to sculpt...

Right now this bust gives me more frustration than joy, and this is dangerous ;):)
    I learned a few things here and one of most importance is to plan final look, make sketches and drawings and then stick to it. Sculpting "as You go" might look fun at the beginning, but it's a real pain to finish it...
    In any case I'll start next one with a few drawings ;)
  14. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    yes the pain in the arse.always an good idea put in some time in the shelf and do not look at it.some weeks months later often one gets whith fresh spirits to the project and ends it then well without the old frustration about.
    as you say i think making an miniature or making an diorama does not work out without an rough sketch or idea how it shall come together in last hand
    neverless i would be call this an fine piecce of work.
    cheers
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    gordy likes this.
  16. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Congrats on completion Darko (y) I look forward to seeing the painted piece :)
  17. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    end of an long road.if you would be still willing to make an copy for me too you will find an happy man in me.
    the rest can be made with PM.
    cheers and congratulations
  18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    No problem, I'll send You a PM when casts are done ;)
  19. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    thanks thats good news
    so happy casting
    cheers
  20. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    darko, very well done face! bill