Croatian Soldier 915 A.D.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by pokrad, Feb 19, 2011.

1. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    yes the shape is the right one.it has the right shape for the form of segmented you wanted to depict.now you can add the lower browband and the segmented plates.if you would like to make the single peiced helmet you should add at front and back an ridge and make the helmet dome more prominent.but i think you wanted to make an segmented and here you have the basic shape very fine rendered.i think when you add your further details it will come out fine.
    but for my taste i like the head without helmet better.you have sculpted such nice billowing hair thats its really sad to hide it under the helmet.
    if i would be able to sculpt i would make an arm with hand.make the helmet as an segmented one-the shape is really convincing-and let him hold the helmet at side.
    bur that is only an option of taste.in any case its going along very well and its nice to see it evolving.you might go for an two head option as well one iwth helmet one without.
    must say i envy you for your sculpting skills.well done
    best regards
  2. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    It will be segmented (or at least I'll try to do segmented), and definitelly two variants of the head.
    For variant holding the helmet in the hand, I should probably make shoulders and complete arms-not only the fist. I tried to do sculpey quick-sketch with fist only and it does not look right.

Thx for help !
  3. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Small dry-fit, sorry, can't get better picture holding helmet in one hand and photoetching is slipping from my fingers...

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  4. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    not finished yet...

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good Darko :)
  6. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    the helmet is maybe not from the decorations fully authentic and may not suit the timeframe perfect.but there are so few still preserved around 7 as far as i know that one must not overdo it.
    but the makeship of the photoedging is very delicate and fine.
    the helmet looks nice
    but still i like the bare version with the breezing hair more.but that is only an matter of taste
    cheers
  7. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I agree that the helmet is a bit "too much", and I like naked head better too.
    I'm thinking of removing ornaments from it, and puting only simpler one and only around the head...
  8. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    here is an picture of one found in italy.the plates are rivitted together with bronce bands gilded those have faint engraving.
    you should avoid to make your decorations to dominant.because on originals the decoration was in repousee.here the bronze is embossed from behind to create an positive pattern or it was impressed from above so that the pattern was negative.
    in any kind it ws when looked from some distance not so prominent like on your helmet.
    so the old story goes better be not to bold in it
    as you see the helmet is higher domed than yours.if you make your helmet higher it will look more elegnat and will not makle the head look so square.
    you could just make some lines with an sharp skalpell blade in the soft putty in regulary distances.when apinted it might look right.do not care to much about an pattern because it ill not be too prominant in that scale.some lines might do the trick
    you will find an better pic in german wikipedia just type for SPANGENHELM
    cheers

Attached Files:

9. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    by the way
    are those photoechted parts from NIMIX?
    cheers
  10. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  11. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    good stuff very well made.one could surely arket such stuff.lots of sculpturs as painters might be keen on them
    cheers
  12. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yap, he is really good, i love his work, not any worse than profesional sets.

Now back on the helmet. I must say I understand what you are talking about (well most of it ;) ), but I'm fighting here between your historical correctness, and my imagination of how Croatian helmet might look like (so it can be recognized on first look). And it looks I succeeded to fail both miserably.
    Altogether with the fact that I give wrong instructions to Jolly who did the ornaments (they should be simply embossed and not cut through the plate) - have no choice than rethink this once again and start fresh. This is the failed look, and it is ready for the garbage can ;)

[IMG]
    Theodoros likes this.
  13. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello darko
    yes i understand from the sculpting of your helmet its looking neat and crisp.well there are only an handfull preserved orginals around.so one can not say why this helmet you made is impossible.its plausible and from the craftmanship possible.
    i think the main dilemma is that it looks somewhat perched on the head.i think you should carved down the hair nearly to an bald head before you make the helmet.when you sculpt it over the hair it becomes to wide and to big.therefore the head get this bulky look.
    real hair will be pressed down by an helmet and so the helmt sits very close to the head.
    maybe that might bring you along.as the possibilty to make the dome higher to make the helmet more dynamic.and not so sqaure.
    i can imagine that its not so easy done.i have absoloute no talent for sculpting and any tips are easly written down.
    maybe an bald head might get you further.when the helmet is amde you could sculpt the hairstarnds under it.and you might consider let the helmet tilt somewhat to the back it sits so narrow over the brow that its agin looks pressed and perched.an non chalant swing to the back might give it an casual flow and take it that stern bucket look.
    only an idea
    cheers
  14. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Resin is shaved under helmet to the bold head, so no hair is in the way. But I think I found the main problem. Both Venceslav and Spagenhelmet are not round, they are eliptical just like the modern helmets-so it better fits the eliptical shape of the head.
    I was totally wrong when thinking that those helmets do have round shape.
    And that is why it looks so "square", cause width between the ears on my helmet is the same as from front to back.
    Finally digged out some pics from "Osprey Warrior" of Venceslav and Spagenhelmet, and some drawings, now I'm just gonna try to recreate that basic shape of Venceslav helmet and add some ornaments- I think this time it will turn well ;)

Also this link is very useful: http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog/GETDRESSEDFORBATTLE_Vikings.html#aH_2fULF_2dHM_2d15
    some helmet have measurement in the "details"...
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    According to Osprey, this is close to basic shape of Venceslav helmet, and You can see main reason for my troubles.
    Damn, It's so simple, I'm so stupid :) :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    yes this might do the trick
    cheers
  17. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    This is what I was aiming for - more or less historically correct helmet, but still recognizable by symbols as Croatian helmet.
    Unfortunately "execution" is not so good, It would be much better if the complete rim was photoetched as one part - next time I'll plan more carefully :(
    A bit more sanding will be required, should add few rivets on the rim,and probably should sit lower on the head...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Martin Rohmann and gordy like this.
  18. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great progress Darko (y)
  19. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Looks very nice! Will follow the rest,
    Eddy
  20. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Thx guys!

This is it, It's not gonna be any beter. Next time as I said, more careful planing might give better results. Now repeat process for the Spatha sword grip ;)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]