1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Croatian Soldier 915 A.D.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by pokrad, Feb 19, 2011.

1. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    "Blocking out" the bust:

[IMG]
    gordy, nelly-samy and Martin Rohmann like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Reminds me of a conehead.
    Looking forwards to the next installment,
    Carl.

Attached Files:

3. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yap it looks funny this way, hope will look better when finished ;)
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you for sharing your mould making technique Darko (y)
  5. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Your welcome :)

Some progress:
    [IMG]
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Somewhere i missed this. Now i'm on....
    Great sculptwork.

marc
  7. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  8. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Head without helmet is baked. I wanted to do some "wind in the hair", not very sucesfull, but this is first time I do such thing, so here it is:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Did not get much further with the bust, I want to do some needlework on the collar, and have no idea how to do it. Helmet looks silly and stupid no matter how I reshape it-I'm stuck :(

[IMG]
    nelly-samy, Martin Rohmann and gordy like this.
  9. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice hair and beard Darko (y)
  10. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    if you go for the single piced helmet the cone is higher more slender and has at front and back in middle an ridge
    if you want do an segmented you should form an halfround dome.and then cut the single plates from thin putty and place those on the dome.or you shape your bust with one hand which hold the helmet and you let the hair fly which looks good.so you have your helmetr and you keep your hair effects.
    cheers
  11. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Hmm, that's not bad idea, will try to see how it looks that way ;)
  12. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Version of bust without helmet is finished and (over)baked:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

After lot of altering and in the end sanding, here I am with the helmet.
    I still had that "wrong" feeling when lookin at it:

[IMG]

Pozdrav !
    gordy likes this.
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Darko (y)
  14. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent piece of sculpting Darko!

regards,
    Marcel.
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Thx guys !

I have one ugly "bug" here, the belt is bending unnaturally in the bottom of the bust, and I did not figure it out until now. So I guess I must hide it with the fist holding the grip of the sword. Also I'll try to add some sleeves, cause most of the people commenting here on local forum say that it looks funny this way without shoulders and sleeves.
    After that he goes into resin ;)
  16. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    thats looking good.you might add an full arm holding the helmet.in any case its not an humble man.alone the fibula and cloak as helmet and sword would make him an very wealthy man.the normal chap would have do with an simple tunica no cloak no jewellry.
    well i like what you show here.
    your main problem with the helmet you make it not high enough.those helmets all have an high dome.yours is to flat and round.you need an conical slender shape even if you make it as singlepieced helmet or segmented.
    cheers
    by the way should you make some more moulds maybe you would sell one?might be interested.
  17. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yap, you are right, I deserted my original idea (that happens to me all the time, especially when I sculpt like this without true reference). It was not interesting enough to my eye just with simple tunic.
    I can't tell You right now what will be in the front, the hand with helmet or the sword, I'll do whatever will fit better. I might lie again, so I'll better keep possibilities open ;)

I have few buyers, here in Croatia, so yes, I'll will be making molds for this one, and yes, it will be my pleasure to sell You one ;)

BTW: thanks for the tip about helmet, that might be it !!!
    Elliptical (not circle) shape of the top head and the ears are in my way no matter what I do, and moving it up might help. Together with less round shape, it might look right...
  18. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello fine thanks an lot.if you go for the sword it is for this date an SPATHA.you might search the net and find some good pics.i think you need special the grip like pommel and crossguard.this where often higly embossed or inlayed with red stome called alamandines.often different coloured threads where hammerd in an technik called Tausia.
    if you go for the helmet an domeshaped form might do the trick
    cheers
  19. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Will this one do the trick ? It supposed to be replica of X century slavic spatha ?
    [IMG]
  20. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    yes thats the style.but the sword here is by no means an handsome copy its very crude.but it matches the types of swords in use in slavic regions quite good.there where lots of different types in use.but the grips where not bound with am leather tong lkike here.such an grip will never last the stress of handling an sword in battle.the iron tang was while hot burned through wooden or bone block,this was then carved to size.because the hot tang burned its way through the grips material in did fit absolute precisely to the grip.after this was done the pommel was fitted and then the tang protruting over the pommels end was made hot and peened.somnetimes an small block was placed on the pommels top then called peenblock..the grip where normaly done in wood or ivory or bone.an ivory grip in the middle with an round bronzeband would look good
    so if you follow such an type you will not fail.should you whish to add an shield this would look quite vikingish round with an metall boss an rawhide or metall rimning around the outer rims.
    cheers
    by the way an good idea to use the metall wires in the master.
    one gets an rought impression if one searches youtube and types in ALBION SWORDS here you see how an us company makes nice copies.
    if you go to the webside of albion swords you see good spathae which show like they can look.